Finally Saw the Frogfish / Bonaire 16 Notes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deco_martini

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
6 years. Haven't paid for a guided dive yet.
I've seen:
the Harlequin Pipefish
WhipCoral Shrimp
Decorator Crabs
Seahorse
ScorpionFish Galore
Spanish Lobster
Long Spine Urchin Shrimp
Flaming Reef Lobster
Spanish/Slipper Lobster (yuuuuge one)
Eagle Rays
Spotted Snake Eel (no, not a sharptail, those are everywhere)

What's evaded me til now? The Frogfish.

Today was the day. I also saw a beautiful Shame Face Crab the same dive. Don't give up hope if you still haven't found one. 20 feet down. (why do people dive deeper than 80 feet on this island anyway?)

Notes from the trip:
Coco Beach is killing Front Porch/Bari South. Too much Oxybenz based Suncreen in the water probably.

Toro seems to be recovering from the Algae that infests Oil Slick North through towards Karpata. Good dive.

Everyone knows about the Salt Pier now. 10 trucks were parked there during low season the other day. It's the new Hilma Hooker.

People still don't understand the basics of diving Oil Slick. The dive ops should cover it during the orientation.

Coco Beach is also LOUD Saturday nights. If you require quiet to sleep, don't stay at Den Laman/Sand Dollar if you want to sleep well after getting in on a Saturday.

Back paddling all the way to the reef at sites like Invisibles is a great way to miss the occasional eagle ray.

Food tip: If you go to Ribs Factory for your full slab, get a side of the hot bbq sauce and use it as a relish on your ribs or a dip for your fries.

Food tip: Pick whatever flavor at Gio's that doesn't speak to you to be pleasantly surprised. Don't pick safe flavors. Go nuts. You have have hazelnut flavored anything back home.

Bonaire is getting more commercial. It is becoming more about the cruise ships and less about you. Don't take it personally. I do flip off truckloads of cruisers sightseeing though.

Congrat.s on the frog fish. Only one I saw in 8 trips was pointed out by a buddy someone told where to find it, it ran into a sponge, and what I saw and photographed can only be called a frog fish if you take it on faith.

Sorry to here the bad news about Bari's southern end.

Back
Top Bottom