Finally saw a Grunt Sculpin at Whitecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Les, I was lucky to see this little guy, the current was carrying us along pretty fast. I just happened to notice him there and was able to grab a rock with one hand and take a few pics with the other :D

Yup, very nice shots :)

Well today was awesome @ whytecliff. top 50' was soso for vis. Ryan spots a grunt sculpin @ 100'. a minute later I spot one inside a chimney sponge @ 110' but due to NDL's we were about to be in deco. so could not stay long enough for any good pics. great 2 in 1 dive. probably more... but not for our eyes today. some cool stars and nudis, sea blubber,seals,a friggin large ling cod. lots of female kelp greenlings.
Thanks Ryan for the great dive today!

thank you for a great dive today les. i really enjoyed it. after you left, i had a nap in my jeep and felt a lot better. lets get out there again sometime soon.

Which side did you see the grunt sculpin at Les? If you hit 110 I'm assuming the right side??

yup. the cut into the bay. I goofed on the nav again and did not quite make it to the bay. it got shallow, like 10' so I came up and we were at the point. It was closer to swim back to the cut.
Ryan glad you felt much better. and let me know if your pics turned out. great dive!

On the left wall(Islet) I've been to 100' and the bottom keeps going. sloping sand bottom, but must lead to another deeper wall I assume, as the rest of the islet seems to be in steps. I've followed some of the cables to see where they lead and most end up in about 100' of sand and then they start to ascend. Not much down there. dogfish, junk,bottles, a few corals. basically just follow cable down and back up. there is some neat stuff on some of the cables tho.
I am awaiting a call from Tino today and maybe head out tonight for a swim.

if you're goin diving tonite what time and where i still have a full tank give me a call if its after 6 as i work till 6

Bah, wish my cold was gone so I could comeout ... hopefully next weekend :)

well thanks again Ryan for tonights dive.
highlights:
1) best was Ryan and the starfish stuck on his hood and especially the one he placed on his mask for the last part of our dive.(eventually had to pry it off leg by leg once on the surface)
2) the octo in the open and inked away when Ryan was messing wiith it
3) the many sailfin and buffalo sculpins.
4) giant red urchins and many green smaller ones
5) the cabaret singers at the concession.
OK forget #5. I did not want to get their songs infused into my head from narcosis
Another great dive, slight current, so/so vis, good laughs, memories..... priceless

haha #5 had to be the most memorable for me i wonder where i can get the soundtrack? lol. I couldnt believe how big those urchins where. or the kung ** grip the starfish had on my mask. thanx for the great dive lets do it again some time i really like whytecliff at night

Back
Top Bottom