Finally got my SD-1's!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Guys, if you're not following FF on Facebook, you're missing out. Bob has been giving everyone the opportunity to bid on unique pieces of FF history.

I finally got my SD1's, almost 15 years after my test dive.

Guys, if you're not following FF on Facebook, you're missing out. Bob has been giving everyone the opportunity to bid on unique pieces of FF history.

Hey Mike , How bout a review on your new SD1's , thanks , LL

Hey Mike , How bout a review on your new SD1's , thanks , LL

I'd love to, although I haven't had a chance to dive the new pair yet. I can, however, tell you about my original test dive.

I originally dived with a pair Bob sent me back in 2009. I took his pair of SD-1's, a pair of Gorilla fins, and a pair of Jet fins to work a drysuit demo weekend with the DUI DOGs in the Lake Rawlings freshwater quarry. I was wearing my CLX450 and steel 120 doubles with a steel plate and OxyCheq Mach 5. I flexed back and forth between my MK20/G250 and Cyklon regulator sets.

My Gorillas are still boards. Lots of stiffness resulting in lots of movement, but hard on the legs. Not the new ones that flex, but these old-style beasts:
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FMTYwMFgxMjAw%2Fz%2F8d0AAOSwK4pevVrT%2F%24_62.JPG

Jets are Jets. I thought it only fair to insure a side-by-side with the SD-1s. They push water and work the legs nicely.

The SD-1...are amazing!

First, if you change up on your drysuit/boots, they're adaptable. No more having to change fin sizes for different suits. I was diving other suits for fun that weekend as well, and it was good to be able to use my fins on all of them.

Next, I moved easier than either other pair. Same approximate power/speed, but less effort and stress. Pushing a drysuit and doubles takes effort; you know you've got drag and mass. These fins made everything much more relaxing in the water. (Bob, could you invent something to make steel doubles easier to walk around with outside the water? :wink: )

I missed the window to get them back then due to contract negotiations, and I've been nagging Bob ever since. I've spent over a decade trying to get a pair...if that's any indicator of what I thought of them. The day he made these limited stock, proof of concept fins available, I got my order in. I looked today and there are nine pair remaining:
SD-1 Military Proof of Concept Fins - Force Fin

Lake Rawlings DOG days 2009, I think I was there. I might have even had my SD-1 on back then, but I might have been diving the then prototype Hockey's.

I am back ..I rather deal with the cooks on Scuba Board rather than the nuts on FaceBook. So please be cool, I am very touchy being lock down like the rest of you. Happy New year and I will give specials gifts to all member of SB. Pete has been a special friend. Hundreds of special Force Fins will go on sale.

Attachments

• IMG_4261.jpg-fw.jpg
    IMG_4261.jpg-fw.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4269.jpg-fw.jpg
    IMG_4269.jpg-fw.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 86
The top fin looks like a FAB Force, not an SD-1.

I have a similar pair that I got off eBay. Offered them to Bob, but said he had plenty in storage.

I'll let Bob answer that, but I think Fab Force actually used fabric in the blades

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom