Finally Finished my Franken LAR!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old Krakken

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Thanks to Charlene Barker I was able to bring this to a close after a long delay.
I had made 2 others but, had long since sold them.
Wish I had never done that!
This is a polyurethane shell.
An RG Mag ADV lid which turns it into a MAV.
I used the Dolphin Scrubber I got from Charlene Barker at http://www.AquaSportScuba.com
The shell and MAV lid I got from Michael Scott Barker in Virginia. (No relation that I'm aware of)
The Counter lung is an actual LAR-V lung that I removed the metal fittings from and installed female P-Ports on it.

looks good

ah dave s site , the memories

Sorry if I'm mistaken : but Franken, for Frankenstein ? Your goal was to made a homemade version of a pure 02 rebreather like a LAR 5 ? Sorry for soundinging like a newbie, but that's what I am on the subject. Nice work.

@JMBL Vous avez raison, Monsieur.
Merci.

Thank you for the answer. Perfect French btw, but a bit formal, isn't it ? :wink: Especially among divers. On the boat, 'tu' is the rule around here.

May I ask what was your motivation to carry out this project ?

Mais de cours!
Most of my diving is shallow.
As a result, I want lighter and less complex gear.
A smaller gas supply that lasts for hours.
I have built numerous closed circuit rebreather over the last 20 years.
I like the LAR rebreathers for their simplicity and robustness.
They always draw attention wherever I go. :D

Most of my diving is shallow.
As a result, I want lighter and less complex gear.
A smaller gas supply that lasts for hours.

Makes perfect sense. But do you limit yourself to 6 m with pure O2 or do you dive deeper ? If so, you do control your breathing mix then ?

I like the LAR rebreathers for their simplicity and robustness.
They always draw attention wherever I go.

Yeah, that gear is famous for that. As far as attention is concerned, I'm not surprise. There was one on sale on Ebay.fr some 8 years ago, more or less. I missed it by a hand width and that was one fierce battle...

Back
Top Bottom