Finally Canon G6 impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lukeROB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have had limited time to shot of late and even less to post stuff here. But a few people were asking how the Canon G6 performs.

Firstly the good parts - the image qaulity is superb and the colour reproduction straight from the camera is fantastic. The lens is excellent and I love having the greater range of apertures and brighter lens. I can see why so many love the 5050. On land the I find the control intuative and the camera simple to use - in the ikelite case underwater much more difficult. Compared to the small canon housing much more difficult to use, but this is to be expected. The shutter on the ike housing is great though very easy to half press. And the direct sync to the strobe is also very nice as you would probably find it difficult to run out of battery in three dives with constant use.

The bad parts - The LCD freezes for a tiny bit when locking focus, this is very annoying, but I guess it will just take a bit of getting used too. The focusing is also not super quick. I wouldn't say it is slow but compared to the fuji 550 and the sony v3, that I tried as well, it is no competition. I also found the whole setup a lot more cumbersome and difficult to handle and made me question my desired for a DSLR.

Impressions of the housing - Very robust and I feel far more confident that once I have prepared it, there shouldn't be a leak. The A70 no matter what I did, I was always a weary. As I said I like the shutter release and am impressed by the build in general. However I do find the lens does not sit centrally in the port. Unfortunatly if you dont screw the camera in very tight it actually touches the edge of the port entrance and locks the camera up requiring you to open up the housing. The padding around the LCD is also not perfect so a tiny bit of the LCD is cut off - I really dont mind this that much but just a minor niggle. I really think it will take getting used to before comment on the layout but I don't think I will ever be very quick to setup for a shot because of the size.

Probably other things I haven't thought of as I wrote this fairly quickly but I'll post a pic to show that it can defiantely produce nice images. Please note this has not been touched up beyond converting from RAW and basically all settings were left at "as shot" (including WB) the only thing that was changed is I bumped up that sharpness while converting from RAW it a great deal however. Let me know if my screen is wrong because this colour reproduction looks very good to me.

B_1017.jpg

Is it better now?

Just bumped up the colour temp to 3950K and contrast also increased when converting from RAW - no further work in PS.

Back
Top Bottom