Finally buying my own equipment, advise needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZapDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!
I´m planning on buying my fist first stage regulator, octo, and gauges but i have the following questions and would appreciate if someone help me answer them.

Does all pressure gauges fits all first stages? or should I buy the pressure gauge from the same manufacter of the first stage?

The same question goes to regulators and first stages, if the ports are standard sized, why does some manufaturers have charts on their catalogs matching some regulators with some specific first stages?

And to sum up this post, Is it wise to mix different brands on one setup?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes, you can mix and match brands of regulators. The LP and HP ports are standard across the major manufacturers. I have one regulator I use for students that has a Mares First and second stage, a Tusa Octopus, and a Scuba Pro SPG.
Some manufacturers recommend certain combinations of their models for various reasons. They have their reasons. But you can do what you want.

People mix brands all the time, especially gauges and often octos. The manufacturers pair up firsts and seconds that play well together with similar levels of performance and features, but that doesn't mean you can't put together others, and sometimes people do. But you probably wouldn't do something like pick a real high end first then stick a real low end second on it, as that's usually kind of a waste.

One possible drawback to mixing brands is you really want the shop to be able to service both your first and second stages when you take them in for service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom