Final Choices! Coz: Vista Del Mar, Villablanca or Hacienda San Miguel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys!

We have 2 general options available to us (2 total). First is for an all inclusive at the Melia Mayan through american. This runs around 2200...plus diving. Not thinking this is such a great deal as we want to dive etc.,

We will be staying for 7 nights and anticipate 3 days diving...but it could well be more.

The other option is for us to get an air fare and hotel deal...they all run 1470 - 1540 but they aren't all inc, no airport transfers etc., the options are:
Vista Del Mar
Villablanca (2 miles out of town - but they do have Papa Hogs on site)
Hacienda san Miguel

Through US Airways there is also options including: Casa Mexicana (1550), PLG (1655), Hotel Cozumel and Resort, Park Royal and Casa Mexicana Cozumel (all inc 1880)

Any comments about any of these please?

Anyway a couple of other comments. I know there are some great B&B's in Cozumel which are damned cheap, but the only way for me to get a good price right now is to get an air/hotel combo (for a decent flight air only is currently running 1250 to cancun or 1700 to cozumel - it's a no brainer). Unless anyone knows a consolidator that can get us flights to coz for 1200! If they do I have a quote for 40 a night with a/c, downtown (let me know if you are interested)

I realise the above hotels are not 5*...but generally are the rooms equivalent standard say to a good Motel 6/Courtyard Marriot? If they are, that's good enough for us!

Thanks everyone...not trying to push but I would like to book soon. (I missed our last vacation plan up by gambling on getting a cheap flight close to departure - but that was to Vegas so it was an OK gamble.)

Thanks again!

DrSteve,
My wife and I are going March 6-14 and we booked through the LDS and it was 1550 for me and 1250 for her (non-diver). It is all inclusive with air from Charlotte to Cozumel. 8 days 7 nights 5 days of diving all total boat dives is 17. I don't know if they have any more spots if this date works but here is thier web site www.lakenormanscuba.com. you can get the phone number and call them monday.
Good luck, Butch

Me and two of my dive buddies are booked for Hacienda San Miquel Mar 2-7, flying US Air from Newark via Charlotte. The hotel was recommended to me by DocV. We will be diving with Dive Paradise. We usually pay for dives the day before. You didn't say when your going.

Thanks Butch, I'll give them a call. Right now it is about 1500 for air and hotel and I'm figuring Pap Hogs will be about 350 for 3 days of diving. But this isn't all inclusive.

outlaws:
DrSteve,
My wife and I are going March 6-14 and we booked through the LDS and it was 1550 for me and 1250 for her (non-diver). It is all inclusive with air from Charlotte to Cozumel. 8 days 7 nights 5 days of diving all total boat dives is 17. I don't know if they have any more spots if this date works but here is thier web site www.lakenormanscuba.com. you can get the phone number and call them monday.
Good luck, Butch

Thanks. We are planning for end of May/beginning of June with travel mid-week around memorial day. I was thinking of going with Papa Hogs who charge 54/dive if you book 3-4 days of diving with them.

scubajim:
Me and two of my dive buddies are booked for Hacienda San Miquel Mar 2-7, flying US Air from Newark via Charlotte. The hotel was recommended to me by DocV. We will be diving with Dive Paradise. We usually pay for dives the day before. You didn't say when your going.

DrSteve, your numbers seem a bit on the high side to me. Did you check with Funjet? I did a search for may26-jun02(that's about when you're planning?) and a package deal(for example) at Casa Mexicana(oceanview) w/all-inclusive was $2278 round trip(Norfolk) for 2 people w/transfers and taxes....no scuba. There were other good deals at other hotels too. You may want to check there.

DrSteve, if you stay in town at Casa Mexicana,Hacienda San Miguel,or Vista Del Mar you would not need AI all resturants are at your fingertips. I think that Casa Mexicana has breakfast included in their pricing. I am told of the three mention that Casa Mexicana is the nicer (try to get an ocean view) they have nice balconies overlooking the water.

Thanks! You guessed right with our dates. 7 days away and being gone over MD weekend. I have checked Fun jet and in some cases they are higher than US Airways and in others lower. My prices for Casa Mexicana were 1550 (US Airways direct - not AI) and 1880 (AI - US Airwaysdirect ). The same prices with FunJet (still US Airways vacations) were 1748 and 2098 (non ocean view). So I think we are in the ball park.

Our biggest concern is balancing the proximity to downtown with non-beachfront and beach front but being further out of town with less options for easy food.

mardigrastexan:
DrSteve, your numbers seem a bit on the high side to me. Did you check with Funjet? I did a search for may26-jun02(that's about when you're planning?) and a package deal(for example) at Casa Mexicana(oceanview) w/all-inclusive was $2278 round trip(Norfolk) for 2 people w/transfers and taxes....no scuba. There were other good deals at other hotels too. You may want to check there.

Thank you Parrothead! Pricing for the Casa Mexicana is very attractive right now for us. 1535 for 7 nights including flights (not AI). 1880 for AI. Not sure if AI is worth it myself but everything else considered it seems to be a good compromise between location to downtown and the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom