Fin selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lifeincolorado

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello all. I'm a new diver looking to pick up my first set of fins. I live in a landlocked state so I'll be traveling to dive sites. Most sites I'm looking to dive are warm-tropical water. I've been reading a lot and watching video reviews and have taken interest in 3 fins: Scuba pro seawing nova, Mares avanti quattro, and Tusa hyflex switch. I am, of course, open to suggestion. The Scuba pro's seem to be the lightest and the hyflex switch seem easily packable with their ability to detach the fin from the boot. Both are desirable for travel. The Avanti quattro just gets a lot of nods from online divers. Again any suggestions are great. Price isn't really a factor as I believe you buy right the first time and there doesn't need to be a second. As far as trying them on my LDS is fairly small and has a very limited stock of fins. I'd have to drive several hours to a larger city to do so. Though, I guess I could be talked into it. Thanks for the advice.

I haven't tried them all. I like the scuba pro go sports for a wetsuit fin.

Fins are very personal so YMMV.

If you could I would drive, bring your boots to make sure whatever you decide the foot pocket fits your foot with your boots on.

Thank you. I hadn’t seen this offering from Scubapro. They definitely look like a greet option as well. Great price too.

All 3 are good fins. As you are going to travel I would probably go with the Scubapro Seawing Nova's as they are the lightest and everybody that I have spoken to that uses them loves them. That being said I have 5 pairs of the Mares Avanti Quattros, they are probably the most common fins on the market and they have been around, in multiple variations, since the 80's!

The Avanti Quattros are a great all-rounder suitable for all environments. Whichever fin you end up choosing, I'd definitely recommend either a spring or bungee strap over the adjustable rubber variety.

I second the GO Sport, I use them in cold water in a drysuit and they make great lightweight travel fins, I used the nova’s for several years and they are a bit long but also good all around fin but the GOSport packs a lot easier.

I switched from a pair of split fins to the Scubapro Nova seawings. I love them. First, they have a larger toe box that I find to be more comfortable. Second, they are efficient! You can move a lot of water with them and in current, you really can push through it. Without current, it takes minimal effort to move. Not a big deal, but they come in different colors that make it easier to spot you in a dive group. Highly recommended.

I use the Scubapro Go Sport for travel because it's light and can be worn without a boot.

If (when) I replace my cold water find, I'll go with the Seawing Nova. It's longer, which has the cost of being tougher to travel with, but the benefit of moving more water per kick..

And definitely go with a bungee heel strap.

A question you'll have to ask yourself is whether it should fit with or without boots. I like barefoot if boat diving in the tropics, but in some warm water situations you'll want a boot. E.g., crossing rough lava outcrops or Rocky beaches to get to the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom