Fin recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamarketing

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I did my cave course in Mares Avanti Quattros and I loved the power and maneuverability, but after a few hours they were killing the tops of my feet in wetsuit boots. I did my GUE fundies in Hollis F1's and loved them, but that was over drysuit boots.

Anyone have a vote either way for diving caves mostly, but also general use? Anyone tried the Hollis F2's in caves?

Thanks for the feedback.

I did my cave course in Mares Avanti Quattros and I loved the power and maneuverability, but after a few hours they were killing the tops of my feet in wetsuit boots. I did my GUE fundies in Hollis F1's and loved them, but that was over drysuit boots.

Anyone have a vote either way for diving caves mostly, but also general use? Anyone tried the Hollis F2's in caves?

Thanks for the feedback.
Everyone I dive with uses Scubapro Jet fins for back mount and Dive Rite's plastic fins for sidemount.

Everyone I dive with uses Scubapro Jet fins for back mount and Dive Rite's plastic fins for sidemount.

Ditto.....

I like Frogs.

The tried and true SP jets or the slipstreams by OMS ( my preference). Now here is a curve ball, our shop owner gave us all SP nova's as a "must wear" thing. It was very hard to accept after so many years of using my old faithful, anyway, they work. They are light, give a great back kick and perform as good as others for all other kicking styles. Points; they look weird! And are pricey! Of course, I'm curious to see what others have found.

Same thing I do.

I know I am butting in where I don't belong and its not pertinent to cave diving but I had the same problem with those fins until I changed to a hard-soled boot with the added ankle/dorsal foot pads and have had no problem since.

SP Nova Gorillas: more control for helicoptering and reverse swimming. positive bouyancy of these fins helps newer divers quite a bit with keep out of siltout conditions in the early days.

Due to its overall length, far more powerful for small movement propulsion (small degree of kick with good forward propulsion). The full foot pocket assists greatly with propulsion and control with a soft boot. With hard boots (oversized fins) your control is down to turning on a dime - provided you can get your ankles to work as you would like them to.

Possible drawback: if you're tall to begin with the Gorillas add another nearly a foot relative to the jets. not cool for tight spaces in wrecks / tunnels / caves.

IMHO SP jets are sometimes over-rated. Was told during my early tech days that splits don't cut it for a full tech set up negative bouyancy exercise (up from 30'/10m to surface and maintain @ surface for 15 minutes with no air in BCD). Both Twin Jet and Twin Jet Max were sufficiently capable. IMO with a reduced risk of cramping for some divers.

I believe its up to the user in most instances rather then the fin per se.

To my understanding SP Jets were designed for combat use originally so that divers could simply jump in / out with combat boots - the sole of combat boots provided the 'hard plate' required for control in a 'half foot pocket.' Its the only (originally) milspec fin.

I'm using the H1's, the foot pockets on my Jets feel sloppy with my turbo soles.

I like my Jets the best of the fins I have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom