Fin Question for those that have taken DIRF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have Mares (Avanti X3's) fins that I bought when I took OW...I need to do either spring straps for these or buy Scubapro Jet Fins and get spring straps for those.

I was thinking of doing the spring straps on my Mares according to the instructions on this site Mares Spring Straps, but after adding it up it ends up being about $50 worth of hardware.

The jetfins would run me about $70 from leisure pro and then I would either need to make spring straps (I am guessing about $50 again) or buy them (Halcyon are $80 bucks!).

I am taking DIRF in July and want to know what you would recommend....am I going to be ok with Mares and spring straps (the cheaper route) or are they just going to tell me I need jetfins with spring straps? I do NOT want to spend the money to convert these and then end up getting another pair of fins and spring straps for those...the cheaper the better.

Originally posted by O-ring
............. and then I would either need to make spring straps (I am guessing about $50 again) or buy them (Halcyon are $80 bucks!).

How about $44.95 from Fifth D Adventure Gear . Four different sizes too!!

click here

So now my options are:

1) Modify Mares for $50
2) Jetfins ($70 + $45) = $115

Now which one to do....?

I am in the info gathering stage of sponsoring a DIRF class. I believe that they do not recomend replacing a bunch of gear before the class. I think you could take the course and then go to work on your equipment.

Just on a side note, LLoyd Baileys also sells 4 sizes of springs for $44.95.

FifthD or Lloyds is the way to go for the most reasonable price.....

I was pondering the same question since I am signed up for DIRF as well....my conclusion after talking to various folks is that it is not necessary to have jet fins and spring straps for the DIRF course.......if it was a tech or cave course -- different story.

Bottom line -- it is recommended that you have blade-type fins to enable you to do the various kicks. Beyond that, I don't think it matters....of course you may have to endure some light-hearted abuse about your current fins......

I am holding off on buying new fins (I have Mares Quattros with the deadly ABS buckles) -- a drysuit is somewhere in my future and I know I may have to buy new fins for that......I figure I may as well wait so that I don't have to buy 2 new pairs of fins ;-)

My $0.02.

Originally posted by O-ring
I am taking DIRF in July and want to know what you would recommend....am I going to be ok with Mares and spring straps (the cheaper route) or are they just going to tell me I need jetfins with spring straps?

I took the class using my USDivers (now AquaLung) blades, and had no problems whatsoever. Most of the folks in my class were using Jets and/or Turtles, and they had just as much trouble I had doing all of the fin kicks and such as I had. As a matter of fact, only one diver (who was watching the class so that he could become an instructor) was able to do a reverse frog-kick (used to backup without using hands). None of the other divers (or instructors) could do it effectively.

I continue to use my blades for warm-water diving, but I have Turtles for use on my drysuit, but I don't use springs on either one, for $$ reasons. When I get some free time I'll probably build a set of springs for my Turtles and my wife's jets, but for the type of diving I'm doing, I'm not too concerned about it.

Note, my Turtles are way easier to do all of the caving kicks in (frogs and reverse frogs) than my Blades, although I find the standard kicks are easier with the Blades.

Last piece of advice. I got my *BUTT* kicked two weekends ago by a diver using Genesis split fins while I was using my Turtles. My wife had her Jets, and I had my Turtles, and we simply couldn't keep up with the split fin divers. We finally called the dive after 20 minutes of heavy kicing. On the positive side, even in 40 degree water, we were both sweating in our drysuits. (Why the divers wanted to go so fast for so long is still a mystery to me, but they claim to not have noticed either the speed or the length of time they were going.)

As much as I hate to admit it, the splits work good for 'open-water' where silting and other issues are not a factor. I *would not* use them in a DIR-F course, but after borrowing my instructors set, I can now see where they may have a use as long as you aren't in a situation where you can silt up the dive site, or if you need to do long sustained kicking.

But, back to the issue at hand. Your Mares should work fine as long as they are 'blade' type fine (most fins are). Splits would not work with the many kicking styles discussed/practiced in DIR-F. As far as spring straps go, they are nice to have, but you can get away without using them. On my Turtles and my wife Jets, we've used electrical tape to keep the straps from flopping, which works as well as springs for entanglement, it's just not as 'sexy'. :)

Nate

[ Deleted duplicate post ]

Thanks for all the good advice. Nate - you touched on what I had been told (guess it is an urban legend), namely that it is easier to do the different finning techniques with jets than it is with other fins. But, since that doesn't really seem to be the case (entirely), I will stick with my fins and deal with the criticism from the powers that be (also called GUE instructors :D).

Now I just need to borrow a set of ancient pink gear to wear on the first day and see what kinds of comments I get...

When I did DIR-F the other two people in the class had some kind of blade fins that were not jet fins. They were "frowned upon." The instructor commented on them, saying that they should be replaced, but that was it. I would spend the money now. Jets do make it easier to do frog kicks and especially reverse kicks, which you will probably attempt in the class. For the $75 or whatever the difference is it is worth it. You'll probably do it someday anyway.

As for not changing equipment before the class, as long as you can get in a few dives with the jets before they won't be a problem. You have plenty of time to get used to them.

Also, I don't know what GUE says but given the time you have I think it would be worth replacing anything that isn't kosher beforehand. You'll get more out of the class if you can go over all of your equipment with the instructor then, rather than doing it on your own later. If you do have any difficulty adjusting you would have his help. Besides, the instructor will give you hell about anything that isn't right until you wonder what you were thinking.

Back
Top Bottom