Fin fit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok my husband just bought a new pair of Apollo bio fins, when wearing a 3mm bootie hard sole his foot "peeks" out side the hole....how much should his foot extend past the opening if at all? He says it fits like a glove, but is worried that with a 7mm bootie it won't fit. He said it is not tight or constricting now, but again is worried....Let me know what you all think.

Thanks...Christina

That can be tough. In my case, my 5mm boot fins don't work when I switch to my drysuit -- the boot size bump means that the DS fins are a full size larger than the ones I use with the 5mm boots. (And the same problem occurs in the other direction -- fins large enough for the larger boots are just way too loose with the smaller boots).

(I switch from an L-XL size fin to a full XL when going to the larger boots -- both fins fit their given boots, just can't interchange them.)

Perhaps he can visit his LDS, try on a pair of 7mm boots with the new fins?

ran into the same problem but in reverse with my blades. Knew I would be getting a drysuit when I bought my gear so I went with the large. they fit ok with my 5mm boots with just a little slop. Fit like a glove with the drysuit. However as they got used more and more they became a little sloppy with the 5mm boots. Do not have any use for 7mm's so I shopped around and waited. Sure enough another pair of used blades came up on ebay for 12 bucks and I snagged them up. They were also a large but the old style with the tapered foot pockets. Wider at the front narrower at the rear. They are perfect with the 5mm boots. That may be his option. Find another pair of fins that fit well with the 7's and switch between the two. I realize this may seem a bit excessive given the cost of the split fins but it may prove to be cheaper in the long run in terms of comfort, fit, wear and tear on the foot, and it's always good to have extra gear. I actually have 4 sets of fins. 2 open heel for scuba, 1 full foot for snorkeling, and 1 for pool training. The pool fins are inexpensive full foot ones that force me to kick harder and faster and give my legs a good workout and have increased my stamina and power with scuba fins. You also did not say what size feet he has but I'm not sure the foot should peek out any holes. They may fit like a glove where on dry land? He should try them in the water for a while and as Mark said see if he can try em with a set of 7's. Again preferably in the water. I had to exchange my first boots cause they felt fine out of the water but once they got squishy in water they felt like they were falling off my feet. Turns out they were! This could also affect fin fit. In the opposite direction if the boots are too thick for the fin you might as well stick your foot in a vise for an hour.

Back
Top Bottom