Filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

montyb

Contributor
Reaction score
In a nutshell, could someone explain how and when they use cy filters. And what size for a 5050 and pt-015.

Please take pity on a new guy and help out with some information.

montyb

montyb:
In a nutshell, could someone explain how and when they use cy filters. And what size for a 5050 and pt-015.

The Filter size you need is 67mm. The filter that I think you are looking for is an FL-B for blue water and FL-D for greenish water. There are others that I know are more knowledgeable and can go deeper in depth on the correct use. I use both, but use the FL-B more. Remember, that the filter will only remove the blue cast close up with your built-in flash. Do not use it with strobes! We have both Tiffen and Singh-Rays, the Singh-Ray produce a better picture, but are very hard to find now.

Vickie

I tried the filters. I much prefer using the manual white balance, it's less restrictive and lots cheaper.

Using a filter does not substitute for manual white balance.

If you are finding excessive noise in the red channel after white balance, then a filter will help.

With a strobe, you need to attach a complementary green filter. Otherwise, the subjects lit by the flash will be red when the ambient-lit background is balanced.

Here is a link with a good explanation, where you can also purchase a filter holder:

http://www.marinecamera.com/inon_cokinfilter.html

Some good intros to using color correcting filters underwater are articles in these magazines:

http://www.uwpmag.com/issues/UwP14.pdf
http://www.uwpmag.com/issues/UwP11.pdf

Both in Acrobat format. I think what they suggest is to use the filters, and either have the camera auto-white balance, or bring a white/grey card to balance manually at depth. Haven't tried it myself, but from what the article says, it works really well. Supposedly, the filter compensates somewhat for not having an external flash, so it's a cheaper alternative if you're just starting.

Let me know how you make out. I'm thinking of getting one myself.

-Steve

I would reccomend against FL-B and FL-D filters. These have spectral transmission curves specifically to help correct for the odd and incomplete output of flourescent light sources. You are much better off using an 81 series warming filter or a combination of color balancing filters if you really want to use them. Use a search function to find past discussion and argumentation on the subject.

TheAvatar:
I would reccomend against FL-B and FL-D filters. These have spectral transmission curves specifically to help correct for the odd and incomplete output of flourescent light sources. You are much better off using an 81 series warming filter or a combination of color balancing filters if you really want to use them. Use a search function to find past discussion and argumentation on the subject.
Warming filters (85 series, 81 series, KR) are not the same and will not give you the desired result. You need a compound filter that provides both warming and green removal. Filters that do this are called flourescent filters (because they are made to correct for flourescent light).

The Singh-Ray FL-B is nearly identical to the UR Pro CY filter.

FL-D filters will cost you between 1/2 and 1 stop. FL-B filters will cost between 1-1/2 and 2 stops. Do not use a strobe with the FL-B. Use it for ambient only at a depth of at least 15-20 feet. You may use a strobe with an FL-D but you may need to do some color correction afterward. If you don't want to correct color, don't use the FL-D with a strobe unless you are at least 3 feet from the subject.

80 and 82 series filters are cooling filters while 81 and 85 series are warming. The warming filters are not useful underwater unless combined with a magenta CC filter. Both the cooling and warming filters can be used on strobes in combination with lens filters for unusual effects.

Always use the lowest ISO you camera offers unless you have specific reasons to do otherwise.

Check the posts on digitaldiver.net, they have tons of info on these filters.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom