Filter for lake diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarDavis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I am buying an Intova IC800 underwater camera for diving. The majority of my dives will be in cold water lakes/quarries. I was wondering what type of filter I need in order to get good pictures in this environment? I have been reading that normally a red filter is used for underwater photography, but I wasn't sure if it were different for lake diving rather than diving in clear blue salt water. I read somewhere that, since there is normally a greenish hue to pictures taken in lakes/quarries, I would need a blue filter to correct them. But I couldn't find any other sources to back that up.

Red Filter for Blue water,Magenta filter for Green water is a good general starting point

Green filters are generally only effective where there are algae and you have green water and algae in combination.
If you dive in a limestone quarry there are no algae and a normal red filter or no filter works fine if you can do custom white balance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom