Filming enquiry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KLT19

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,

I'm looking for potential filming locations for a new TV series and wondered if I could tap into your collective experience and advice please.

Would anyone know of a location where we could film the following all in one place? Anemone, clown fish, cleaner shrimp (ideally clapper shrimp) and a grouper species. that changes colour (in order to bring the shrimp in to clean it).

It's proving tricky to find all the elements in one place - the anemone/clown fish/shrimp is well known in lots of places but we're trying to get an extra beat to our story with the grouper and something unexpected -i.e. it being able to change colour to be more visible to the shrimp and bring them in.

Thanks very much in advance for your time, Kristina

...all in one place? Anemone, clown fish, cleaner shrimp (ideally clapper shrimp) and a grouper species. that changes colour ..
Well you can take the Atlantic Ocean off your list. And trying to get a close up video of a grouper changing colors will probably have to occur in a large marine protected park so the grouper won't run. For a 'controlled video setting' and getting the footage in a 'reasonable' budget, I would do all the filming in an aquarium and then add B-roll wrapped around that. Add in all the divers should be on rebreathers too ($$$). A Black Grouper is going to be the best to change colors, but they spook the easiest. Getting them changing colors while holding still is going to take an enormous amount of time till you get lucky and capture it. They spook so easily. Let us know how the trip turns out.

Well you can take the Atlantic Ocean off your list. And trying to get a close up video of a grouper changing colors will probably have to occur in a large marine protected park so the grouper won't run. For a 'controlled video setting' and getting the footage in a 'reasonable' budget, I would do all the filming in an aquarium and then add B-roll wrapped around that. Add in all the divers should be on rebreathers too ($$$). A Black Grouper is going to be the best to change colors, but they spook the easiest. Getting them changing colors while holding still is going to take an enormous amount of time till you get lucky and capture it. They spook so easily. Let us know how the trip turns out.

Thanks Johnoly, appreciate the thoughts/advice. At the moment it's looking hopeful in Malaysia through a team we've found out there, but I'll flag these potential issues. Thanks again!

If a clapper shrimp is what we call a Mantis Shrimp - Grand Cayman. I've never seen a Mantis there but Ocean Frontiers has video of one on YouTube.

I've seen the other three at a shallow ste callled The Aquarium on the West side - all on the sane dive, I'm sure there are dozens of similar sites,

Curacao might be an option also - have seen all 4 there on different dives. The Mantis at a couple NW sites like Jereni or the old Habitat resort - IIRC the dive is named Nos Kas,

I think Roatan/Utila also, although I don't remember seeing clownfish though but I'm pretty sure they are since there's a lot of anemone, I'veseen some really big Grouper off Utila but as you get close - they flee...

No clown fish that I have seen in Caribbean. Look at Lizard Island. In addition your list the Giant Clam Garden is amazing, also one site we could not do because so many sea snakes were on the mooring, so much life it was incredible. There is a resort and
Marine Conservation Lab on the island. The topography and history would really add background. Potato Cod bigger than a person are very sociable as well.

If a clapper shrimp is what we call a Mantis Shrimp - Grand Cayman. I've never seen a Mantis there but Ocean Frontiers has video of one on YouTube.

I've seen the other three at a shallow ste callled The Aquarium on the West side - all on the sane dive, I'm sure there are dozens of similar sites,

Curacao might be an option also - have seen all 4 there on different dives. The Mantis at a couple NW sites like Jereni or the old Habitat resort - IIRC the dive is named Nos Kas,

I think Roatan/Utila also, although I don't remember seeing clownfish though but I'm pretty sure they are since there's a lot of anemone, I've seen some really big Grouper off Utila but as you get close - they flee...

Thanks very much Steve, we've narrowed it down to Malaysia and have a potential site now, but thanks for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom