film or digital?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TaMe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have just begun diving i really want to show my friends and family the under water world! Im not looking for something to expecive but something that will work just fine. My budget is about $300. I have been looking around, and i just need some avice on eather a digital, or a film camera. I have got a digital camera but its not water proof, can i get a case or something to protect it from the water? i don't need any flashes or light just at this stage but mabe a bit latter.

ı prefer to digital cameras.. its more simple than films and quality.. u can buy canon A520 for begining :wink:

Yes, A520 would be a great choice. Can get that camera plus a 512 MB card, and Canon housing for around $400 at www.adorama.com

Definitely digital, hands down!

That way you don't have to spent extra money on film, developing, and scanning to show your family/friends via email.

Definitely digital. Good advice above.

Definitely go digital. 4-5 years ago I'd have said it was too early to go that way with $300, but now you can certainly find some good buys. You can go to this site to see if your camera has a housing. I'd stay away from the plastic bag types (get a solid polycarbonate housing).

I wrote a review of a couple less expensive setups a little while back, you can read them here and here. To see photos taken by those cameras, just check out my gallery (underwater photos on the third page). I hope that helps.

Digital....No if and or buts about it!! I would suggest Canon or Olympus. I've seen a lot of sony rigs and wouldn't choose one myself. Not enough options for me!! Eventually you will want a few manual options. I have an A80, but if you have the cash try the A620, faster and more Megapixels. It has 4 AA's, in contrast to the A520 which I think only has two. Trust me, if your doing a couple dives in one day, there is nothing more annoying than running out of battery life. Get four 2500 mAh Energizers and you will be happy!!!

Back
Top Bottom