Film choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealife

Reaction score
I received a Reefmaster CL u/w film camera for christmas. The technical specs list ASA 200 film. Does anyone know if that means this is the "recommended" film or does it mean that other film will not work in this camera?

I know this may sound like a dumb question, but I know absolutely nothing about photography and since I won't be using a strobe, others have recommended I 400 film.

Oh, another question? Is there a difference between ISO 200 and ASA 200?

Thanks. Any insight would be much appreciated.

ok for film use the 100 isa is the genral film in clear and good lighting water, for darker and less than ideal visability use the isa 200

Okay, ISO = International Standards Organization; ASA = American Standards Association. The numbers are identical, and use the same criterion. But, there are no more ASA rating, as everyone has gone to ISO.

It is probable that your camera will use any film that is rated at ISO 200 or greater. Look carefully at the literature on the camera (if you have it) to see what the recommendations are. If not, look inside to see if there are sensors for the film cassett. Each cassett has a marking on it which is used to program auto-exposure cameras to the ISO of the film. Since this is an automatic camera, it is probable that the lens is an F-5.6 or so lens. The lower the number, the easier it is for the camera to handle slower films. The slower the film, the tighter the grain pattern, and the better the enlargements.

To test it out, take the camera under in controlled conditions and shoot film using the ISO 200, 400 and 800 film (and 100 if you want to). That's the best way to do it. This way, you'll have confidence when you take the camera on a trip in what the camera can, and cannot, do. You can use a pool if it is well-lighted too (but with outdoor film, expect some color shift for artificial light).

Good luck,

SeaRat

John, I checked, the lens is an an F-5.6 but I didn't see any sensors on the inside.

I also checked the manual again. It has a really extensive (yeah right!) section on film selection that says in its entirety:

"Film: ISO 200. Use ISO 100 print or slide film in bright conditions, on beaches or snorkeling."

That's it. I have to admit Medic13, you hit that 100/200 bit nail right on the head!

Under the technical specs it says:

"Film: Use Regular 35 mm (not included) ASA 200"

That's why I'm so confused. I've never had a 35mm camera before that would only use one (or two) film speeds. But no where does the literature or website give any indications of whether other films will even work or if these are just recommendations.

I'd sent an email to the company, so I'm waiting on a reply from there. Meanwhile, thought I'd look for advice from my scubaboard buddies. :)

Looks like shooting off the rolls in the pool may be the only way to get the true answer.

Thanks again for the info and advice.

Sealife,

I looked over their website (Reefmaster CL), and you'll do well with this camera as a beginning camera. Your results will be great, and I don't think you will have any problems using any speed film from ISO 64 to 800. They made reference to ISO 64 film and ISO 100 film, and recommended you stay within 4-6 feet of the subject. The reason is that they are using a fixed-focus lens (most likely) that is in focus from about 4 feet to infinity. You can get an attachment for closeup photos, and they have several other accessories too.

I would recommend the pool session, and don't worry about color shift as you do have a flash for flash-fill. The reason is that it is important to estimate distances, and as you know, underwater everything appears 1/3 closer and 1/3 larger than they really are. So the in-water practice session is important.

Two accessories you should consider is their macro lens, and their external flash. It looks like the external flash is a "slave" sensor flash. This is good, as it does not rely upon a flash cord to fire. The internal flash is reflected toward the other, external flash, where it is sensed, and causes the second flash unit to automatically flash. That unit may need to be set to the ISO of the film you are using. It doesn't look like it is detachable, although that would be ideal for the best macro photography work. Twelve inches away is okay, but sometimes in pretty dirty water, it is best to be further away from the lens to prevent, or minimize, the "snow" effect of light reflected off particles in the water and back to the lens. The further to the side that the strobe is, the less the amount of light reflected toward the lens.

If you are in really clear water, go with the ISO 64 slide film, or ISO 100 print film. For dirtier water, or for more natural-light photography of divers further than 6 feet from you, use the higher speed films (ISO 200, 400, or 800).

Now, all you really need to do is get into the water and see what it can do for you. Be sure to post a couple of your photos for us to see.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom