Fills over 80 Cuft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

belairbrian

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Took a pair of HP 100's and an HP80 in for fill yestrday.

The LDS is now charging $7.50 for tanks over 80 but less than 120.

80s are still $5.00

Is this a growing trend? Never seen a difference on fills based on tank size.

I pay by the cubic ft. Bigger tanks=bigger bill :)

Ive seen lots of flat rate shops charge more for larger tanks, though.

I've seen a number of pricing methods. Charging a flat rate is the most popular that I've seen around me. I also have seen charging by the cubic foot (my favorite) along with tank size and rated pressure.

The most common arrangement around here seems to be $6 and $8 for air fills depending on whether your tank is >85 or <85cuft. Not really fair pricing for those with 100's, but unfortunately that's how it goes.

I don't have a problem with shops charging more for bigger tanks . . . as long as the tanks are empty. If they're going to do that, they should also charge LESS for partial fills. (BTW, a fair number of dive shops that cater to tech or cave divers actually sell their gas by the cubic foot.)

I don't have a problem with shops charging more for bigger tanks . . . as long as the tanks are empty. If they're going to do that, they should also charge LESS for partial fills. (BTW, a fair number of dive shops that cater to tech or cave divers actually sell their gas by the cubic foot.)

By-the-(cubic)-foot is my preferred way as well. The difference in price can be dramatic with Nitrox. My preferred shop charges about $10 to top off half-full AL80 doubles. Most other shops charge two full AL80 nitrox fills, which is $26. Why it should cost almost twice as much to fill small doubles (154 cu ft) as to fill a single HP130 is beyond me.

When I had the shop, I charged a flat rate regardless of size. Heck, my wife wouldn't even double the cost if someone had doubles filled. Yes there is 25% more air in a 100 than 80 but the same holds true for smaller tanks. So it all washed and we had simpler accounting.

I've seen other shops do it other ways and all are IMO reasonable.

I also charged by the foot for tech gasses. But, this practice could be risky if the State Weights and Measures inspector decided to look at us. With no real way to actually measure the gas being put in a tank we could have been subject fines. Same as the way they measure Gasoline at the pump or apples by weight. The measurement device has to be validated.

I pay a flat rate ... $100 a month.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Related to the partial fill comments, as long as I am getting more than 80 CF of air from the shop, I am fine with the additional costs.

I am not 100% sure on the price, but when I bought all my gear my LDS threw in there membership for air fills. I believe they said it was a $75 value (per year), which includes unlimited air fills and 2 rental tanks a week. They have never specified that larger tanks would be any more. Have not tried nitrox yet so I am unsure of their nitrox prices and practices.

Back
Top Bottom