filefish????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was just browsing the edit avitar menu when I noticed one of the provided avitars which was labeled filefish appears to resemble a triggerfish to me. Now we don't have either of those in our local waters but I have seen a few of both down south. Correct me if I am wrong.

You mean this one...?
filefish.gif
You may well get a more informative answer on another forum, but technically - I believe that all Filefishes are Triggerfish. while not all Triggers are Files. Kinda' like all Pheasants are Chicknes, not not all Chickens are Pheasants. That made a lot of sense, right? :confused:

I would tend to agree, that is a Trigger - but not a File. Probably the Hawaiian Picasso
picasso.jpg

which one source called a Lagoon trigger.
Lagoon.jpg

The Queen trigger is also striking marked, but different.
queen.jpg

I don't think it's the Hawaiian state fish - Humuhumunukunukuapua.
humu.jpg

As far as a site support discussion goes, tho - if you select that Avatar, you get the fish illustrated, albeit misnamed. :D

I saw a Tilefish. fan-tailed..not to be confused with....filefish.

John Hoover:
Closely allied to triggerfishes, filefishes have narrower, more compressed bodies and lack the "trigger" mechanism on their first dorsal spine. . . Filesfishes belong to the order tetraodontiformes, which includes odd reef fish such as boxfishes and puffers.

Triggers are also tetraodontiformes, but filefish are filefish and triggers are triggers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom