Fiji vs Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pulmcc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was thinking about going to Raja Ampat next July but after reading about the potential currents, I wonder if we’re ready. We have done 48 dives, 12 a few weeks ago in Maldives and 10 a couple of months in Cozumel so at least at Cozumel, we have some experience with current. Maldives was pretty tranquil and probably not challenging. Would Fiji be a better choice for us and if so, any idea how different is it diving in Fiji vs French Polynesia (we dive there last summer)? If Fiji is more suitable for less experienced divers, then perhaps we save Raja Ampat for after we get more dives in and do a Rescue course.

maldives can have some really strong current, so you may have just missed those sites.

fiji has better coral and macro than FP but less than raja.

i wouldn't skip raja just because there may be strong currents if you were pretty confident diving the maldives. the reasons to pick fiji over raja are flights are easier, resorts are more developed, and childcare is easier if it is a family vacation.

IMO, Fiji is better suited to your experience for now. Once you get a hundred or so dives, you'll have more experience for Raja. Fiji in July is ideal for weather; Raja, not so much. July in Raja is the rainy season and the topside conditions can be rough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom