Fiji travel--Private Travel Insurance Covering Covid-19: How much detail to present at checkin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brownie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am travelling to Fiji in a week's time. I realize travellers have the option of purchasing "Fiji-Care insurance" for a modest fee. But has anyone travelled there recently with their own private travel insurance (not Fiji-Care)? How was this issue handled on checkin? How much detail is required, ie. dollar limits for expenses related to isolation costs, medical care, diagnostics???

I have an insurance certificate (card) and a letter that states I am covered for Covid related issues, but it is stated in very broad, general terms; no breakdown or upper limits with respect to isolation costs, hospitalization, medical diagnostics.

My flight originates in Toronto. Wondering if I will have to present this info at both Toronto and Lax. Does anyone have recent experience with this issue? The Fiji-Care insurance is cheap, but why duplicate travel coverage unnecessarily.

Any experience or insights on this issue would be appreciated.

We are returning today. We have Medicare part f which covers out of country coverage up to 50k. I still bought Fiji care just in case there was a hassle at lax.
Just showed the certificate on my phone.
Be prepared the walk from Fiji air check in to gate is long. Get a cart ride

We have Medicare part f which covers out of country coverage up to 50k. I still bought Fiji care just in case there was a hassle at lax.
Thank you @jbjclj I am considering doing this, too.

I recently returned from Fiji via LAX.

I would second just buying the Fiji-Care insurance to guarantee they get exactly what they want to see for a relatively small price ($40 per person for my stay). My certificate snippet below shows it has a breakdown of the coverages.

They will ask for it in LAX and shouldn't in Toronto as we also had a connecting flight to LAX. They checked it at the gate itself in LAX, and I think just confirmed we had it at the ticketing counter before that.

Note, we could check in for our flight online but not print any boarding passes for either our domestic flight to LAX or for the Fiji Airways flight because of the requirement to check passports. We even drove to the airport the day before but they could not issue them until within like 12 hours. We did get them no problem once we came for the flights themselves, still having to get the Fiji Airways passes at their counter in LAX.

You also need to have scheduled your COVID check within 72 hours of arriving in Fiji which the hotel will ask about because they have to file that test with the govt.

1661727374232.png

I recently returned from Fiji via LAX.

I would second just buying the Fiji-Care insurance to guarantee they get exactly what they want to see for a relatively small price ($40 per person for my stay). My certificate snippet below shows it has a breakdown of the coverages.

They will ask for it in LAX and shouldn't in Toronto as we also had a connecting flight to LAX. They checked it at the gate itself in LAX, and I think just confirmed we had it at the ticketing counter before that.

Note, we could check in for our flight online but not print any boarding passes for either our domestic flight to LAX or for the Fiji Airways flight because of the requirement to check passports. We even drove to the airport the day before but they could not issue them until within like 12 hours. We did get them no problem once we came for the flights themselves, still having to get the Fiji Airways passes at their counter in LAX.

You also need to have scheduled your COVID check within 72 hours of arriving in Fiji which the hotel will ask about because they have to file that test with the govt.

View attachment 740331
Thank you @Shasta_man for your helpful input.

I was under the impression that I would pick up both boarding passes in Toronto. But if that's not the case, I will have to search for the Fiji Airways checkin on the Departures level at LAX. Was your luggage checked all the way through from your your domestic flight through to Nadi? Or did you pick it up in LAX, and check it in at the FA desk?

The Covid Rapid Test 72-hour on arrival has been scheduled.

My Toronto-Los Angeles flight lands at (I think) Terminal 6. Any idea if that's a long walk to the Fiji Airlines checkin counter?

Fiji air at lax is at desk A23. Look on the screen

Fiji air at lax is at desk A23. Look on the screen
Can you advise me please, on how I would navigate from Terminal 6 to Terminal B (where Fiji Air is located)? Underground/overground walkways or shuttle buses from outside? I don't know this airport at all. My luggage would be checked all the way through to Nadi, and I would have pre-cleared U.S. Customs & Immigration in Toronto.

We are returning today. We have Medicare part f which covers out of country coverage up to 50k. I still bought Fiji care just in case there was a hassle at lax.
Just showed the certificate on my phone.
Be prepared the walk from Fiji air check in to gate is long. Get a cart ride
Same here - just got back last Sunday. I bought Fiji Care in addition to a policy from Squaremouth as it was cheap. I just showed the Fiji Care sheet at check-in and they barely looked at it.

Also, unless you are in poor shape or have some mobility issues, the Fiji Airways departure gate at LAX is not really that far - just give yourself a good 10 minutes to get there if you are hanging in a lounge in the main terminal before the flight - I considered it good excercise :).

Can you advise me please, on how I would navigate from Terminal 6 to Terminal B (where Fiji Air is located)? Underground/overground walkways or shuttle buses from outside? I don't know this airport at all. My luggage would be checked all the way through to Nadi, and I would have pre-cleared U.S. Customs & Immigration in Toronto.
I came in at Terminal 7 (United) and it was a little bit of a hike (but not too bad, ~15 minutes) to the Tom Bradley International Terminal and Fiji Airways check-in (counter opens ~3 hours before departure).

I had to retrieve bags in LAX to then check with Fiji Airways so did the outside walk. However, I’m not sure if you can connect inside as part of Terminal 4 is currently closed for major renovations.

10C914D2-7067-43C8-A1B7-4FFBAB681AFF.jpeg

67A59C75-E4E2-4A85-8FC6-42BD994F6CDD.jpeg

Thank you @Joneill for your input.

Why did you have to retrieve your bags in LAX? Did you request that from United to ensure that they were in your possession to hand over to Fiji Airways staff? My flight into LAX is with Air Canada; my expectation is that they would be checked right through to Nadi--I would avoid having to pick them up in LAX.

Does Fiji Airways have kiosk checkin or did you have to line up to speak with FA rep?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom