Fiji Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Belkin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there!

I have edited this post because of a lot of new info and as such, more specific inquiries.we now have at our fingertips.

1. We understand that not all the resorts on Kadavu are accessible to the Astrolabe Reef. Should that be a concern? and if so, which places that are definitely nearby are best options. We are not backpackers nor luxury hounds, so functional is fine for us!

2. Any feedback about the Leluevia which I guess is nearby Wakaya and Toberua in th toro Sea area.

3. Is there some type of ground trans[port between VoliVoli and either Nausori or Nadi airport?

4. Lastly, there seems to voluminous amount of info on Taveuni lodging. Is there that magical balance that straddles between budget and luxury. We look at lodging as someplace to sleep and shower, but appreciate delicious food!!

Steve,

I've been researching our April trip... seems I've read one of those places, Yasawa or Savusavu won't be open until April or July? (Resorts not open I guess)?. If you're flying between islands, it's very $$$. Actually, all types of inter island travel is $$.
I know not much help.
We've got 10 nites booked for Tavueni and then 3 nites at don't know yet, so we're still pondering options. (and hoping they'll still let us in by then).

We have been to Fiji five times and are going back in August for 3 weeks. The first was at Garden Island Taveuni and the last 4 at Wananavu- Rakiraki/Bligh Waters. Bligh Waters is the best. Wananavu is now closed so we are staying at Volivoli.
Your trip sound like too much moving around. It is not easy to navigate all those places in such a short time and lots of plane trips inter-island.

Just got back from 6 weeks in Coz which we do twice a year. Wonderful island, food, people.

Hi jbcclj
Small world! I'm launching a new dive activity in COZ called Scuba Hunt, a dive challenge game that's basically an underwater scavenger hunt, using 90 huge concrete blocks off of Hemingways Restaurant to hide clues that require deciphering codes and doing unusual twists on scuba skills.

Hi Ray and Pam-
Well, no Yasawa or Savusavu makes for considerably fewer moving parts to connect.

Using airline miles to get to/from LAX-Fiji, so have a bit more wiggle room on budget to do some domestic flights.

Looks like a slower pace will do us good.

Nadi-Kadavu flight
3 dive days
Kadavu-Suva flight/ boat to Leleuvia Island Resort
3 dive days
Suva to Rakiraki drive; TBA resort
3 dive days
Rakiraki to Nadi drive/ Nadi-Taveuni flight; TBA resort
3 dive days
Taveuni-Nadi flight

Steve,

Don't take my word for it, not sure which ones were closed. I'm saying check it out yourself before making plans on being able to go there. This is our first time to Fiji also and am not that good at putting names to islands yet.

We too are using miles for TUL-LAX-NAN. We had to pay $ for NAN-TVU, was told we couldn't use miles for that leg. Because of that we fall into domestic luggage rules for NAN-TVU leg, which means 33 lbs max on checked luggage NAN-TVU, or it's like $4 usd fo every 2.2lbs over.

We also were looking at Kadavu for Astrolab Reef, Beqa for Beqa Lagoon and shark dives, Taveuni for Rainbow Reef and the main island for Bligh Waters.
Ain't this fun!

I believe on Kadavu the resort with the closest access to the Great Astrolabe reef is Matava Eco Resort

As far as SavuSavu goes, I have been getting notifications that the Cousteau resort there opened December 1st.

SavuSavu is open!!

Put my nose to the grindstone to kale sure the logistics were realistic

NAN-SUV-KDV 2.5 hr flight
5 days/4 nights Kadavu- Matava

KDV-NAN-SUV 2.5 hr flight, 10 min taxi, 35 min boat transfer
4/days/4 nights Koro Sea- Leluevia

35 min boat transfer, 2 hr. taxi
5 days/5 nights. Rakiraki- Volivoli

2 hr airport transfer, NAN-SVU 1.5 hr flight
4 days/3 nights Savusavu- Daku

1.5 hr. taxi, 45 min boat transfer
4 days/4 nights Taveuni- Viani Bay

TVU-NAN 1.5 hr flight

* About $500 in domestic airfares per person

Hi @Steve Belkin I just came here looking for info for a Fiji Trip in April/May. I was lucky enough to dive with you and your wonderful wife this past October one Sunday aboard Liquid Blue's boat in Cozumel. Awesome seeing you on here!

You'll defiantly have let us all know how that trip goes as it looks great! I think we are going to be booking Paradise Taveuni for 10 nights.

Hi @Steve Belkin I just came here looking for info for a Fiji Trip in April/May. I was lucky enough to dive with you and your wonderful wife this past October one Sunday aboard Liquid Blue's boat in Cozumel. Awesome seeing you on here!

You'll defiantly have let us all know how that trip goes as it looks great! I think we are going to be booking Paradise Taveuni for 10 nights.
Wow, small world!!!! and impeccable memory!

Back in 2012 we stayed at Nakia on Taveuni and it was great. Not sure if it still exists, but if you're looking for great food and diving that's the place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom