Fiji Islands diving advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

canto2010

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

If I have 4 days in Fiji Island and I am flying from Chicago, I need your advice for the best island and diving company in this short amount of time. I understand international flights land in Nadi, Fiji. Is it feasible to stay in Nadi and go scuba diving. I know I want to do one day of shark diving in Bega Lagoon.

Your advice will be highly appreciated.

I've dived in Beqa lagoon (Aqua-Trek Beqa Dive Center) with people who have traveled by car down from Suva on the day but they had a very early start. Nadi might be a bit too far for a day trip. Plenty of places to stay around Pacific Harbour though.

Hi. There are several choices.
a) Don't dive in Nadi area if you want the best of Fiji. Over priced on the whole and average, at least by Fiji standards, dives. Scuba Bula, just along the coast in Momi Bay are a good outfit and about 20mins or so from Nadi, that's probably the best if you want to stay in Nadi.
The Shark feeding dives are in Pacific Harbour. That is a 2 1/2 to 3 hour trip from Nadi. So for a day trip you would have to leave at 5am.... Doable, but you have also to add the roughly FJ$150 for a taxi each way.
You can go about 2 hours in the opposite direction and dive with Volivoli resort (Ra Divers), who are a 1st rate outfit and offer some great dive sites. So only a 6am start to get there.
Or, move to Pacific Harbour for a couple of days. Stay at Uprising or the Pearl. Better food at Uprising. Dive with Aquatrek or Beqa Adventure Divers.
There are several dive operators between Nadi and Pacific Harbour, and they do offer decent dives, but the PH based dives in Beqa Lagoon are worth the extra distance. One last option would be Waidroka Bay Resort which is a little closer than PH and they can take you to Beqa Lagoon and tp Frigates reef, which is a cool dive site and also a famous surf break if you surf.
I hope that helps.
Greg

Thank you very much guys. Lets say if I plan to go for a week, is it too much to dive at Bega Lagoon and island of Taveuni. I heard Island of Taveni has excellent diving spots especially if dive with Taveuni Ocean Sports.

Do you guys have experience diving in Taveuni?

Taveuni is great diving. Will your schedule include being there when the coral "bloom" on the White Wall? If so then go. Purple Wall is another standout. The Rainbow Reef is wonderful in general.

Taveuni also has excellent hiking and waterfalls.

Thank you very much guys. Lets say if I plan to go for a week, is it too much to dive at Bega Lagoon and island of Taveuni. I heard Island of Taveni has excellent diving spots especially if dive with Taveuni Ocean Sports.

Do you guys have experience diving in Taveuni?
Remember you're going to lose a day because of the plane flight from Taveuni. . .

My vote would be to go North and dive with Volivoli or Wananavu (my choice). If weather permits you can make to Bligh Passage (as in Mutiny on the Bounty) and the reefs there are beyond fantastic.

Thank you everyone. Do you guys think Shark dive is worth it in Bega Lagoon given the fact you lose a day? I have never done shark dive and read good things about it. I want to maximize my time since I am flying from Chicago and its gonna be a long flight.

Back
Top Bottom