Fiji Dive Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nursediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am going to Beqa Lagoon Resort on Beqa in a few weeks. A member of our group has been there before and complained about dealing with current. How strong is it in Beqa? Thanks in advance.

That depends on the phase of the moon at the time. Most of the areas which have Fiji's famous, brightly coloured, dendronephthya soft corals are areas (generally reef passages) which experience large current flows as this is where they thrive. The currents are heavily influenced by the tide though. Over the course of the year there are times when there is no current even at half tide, times when there is ferocious current even at slack tide and the whole scale through to the usual end of the spectrum. Let me know exactly when you're going and I'll try and give you some idea.

Ricky can probably give you better data, as I have only been there for one week. We had a couple of times when the crew decided there was too much current at a site, so we moved without descending. I only remember one dive where there was a lot of current, such that I really had to put out some effort kicking.

On a 1-10 scale, I'd put it at a 6-7 at the worst..............what are you worrying about Current for, you're going to FIJI, woo hoo, good for you.........enjoy a fiji bitter for me, and be sure to do the shark dive in the lagoon.

How does the current off Fiji compare to that off of, say, Cozumel?

I was there (Beqa Lagoon) the end of September 2006 and only had one dive with any current. Was at the same site a few days later and no current at all. It was a new moon at the time.

We did have some choppy seas at the surface but no problem once you were under. It rained most days as well with some wind.

Don’t miss the Shark Dive. Beqa Lagoon uses Beqa Adventure Divers. The price is 135 USD.

I will be there April 12 to 24 for a return trip.

I second and third all the suggestions for the shark dive. I've done it twice, and get a DVD of the dive because they film them all, it's WELL WORTH the $30-40 USD for the DVD.

Here is a GREAT detailed dive site map of Beqa for you, I can list my favorites for you,

Carpet Cove ALL TIME best boomie dive. (#2 on the map)

Joes Best has a great arch to swim through, but is pretty dead on the bottom sea floor. (#1 on the map) Soft coral garden is loaded with leather corals and a nice wall (#1)

And if its been raining alot, the lagoon can get slightly silted out, so I recommend a trip outside the lagoon to dive the Blue Wall. (far right hand side of the map right on the edge)

Here are a couple pictures from Joes Best Arch.

Side streets and Fantasy (#3&4) are great too.

This map was hanging up at the Bar at Beqa Lagoon 2 years ago, and is one of the best I've seen showing beqa lagoon sites. :D

Attachments

• PC281592aSML.JPG
    PC281592aSML.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 42
  • PC281559aSml.JPG
    PC281559aSml.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 29
..............what are you worrying about Current for, you're going to FIJI, woo hoo, good for you.........enjoy a fiji bitter for me, and be sure to do the shark dive in the lagoon. -Rocky Heap-

Nurse Diver,

I agree with RockyHeap, but please have a Fiji GOLD for ME !
I liked that beer a little better than the Fiji Bitter.
And yes, be sure to do the shark dive...
Bill

Thanks for your responses everyone. We will be there from 3/10-17. I will have a Fijian beer for all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom