Figuring out EaN Percentages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, the pe

Nope, the percentages HAVE to equal 100%. So if you round 23.5 up to 24, you must likewise round 76.5 up to 77.
24+77=101
24+76=100
Usually people would rather increase their oxygen percentage than nitrogen, so I rounded the nitrogen down and oxygen up.

24+77=101
24+76=100
Usually people would rather increase their oxygen percentage than nitrogen, so I rounded the nitrogen down and oxygen up.
Not really. When diving EAN, round up your oxygen levels for calculating MOD, round down for deco calculations. This came from diving with tables, where you would always round to conservative side. All a bit moot with level of differences it makes either way.

Well, of course, we will analyze the tank before diving. Wouldn't be smart not to. The idea is purely theoretical for informational purposes, due to the variability of... Well... The variables. For example, my wife and I will go diving soon (in real life). We will be using EaN36 for the first dives, then refilling our tanks with air from 500 psi. I was curious in theory, what our gas mix would be after we got a refill, because I know that we would still be breathing nitrox, but didn't know the percentage. Lol

Well if I had a nitrox fill for the first dive then filled the tank for the second dive from 500psi I would just set my DC to 21% and not bother trying to calculate the difference. But hey that's me being a lazy bugger lol

This falls into the category of mixing gas, which I am not knowledgeable in but there are certainly books available for it. I believe there are also tables you can search for.

Bryan does a real good job of explaining and showing how it's done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom