Fibromyalgia and Scuba Diving: A Match Made in Heaven?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for any info/experiences i can get on diving with fibromyalgia. First though i'll give some background on myself. I am a former soldier, deployed once to Iraq. As the post implies i have fibromyalgia, among other ailments. I am looking to get into school for marine biology and while in school i plan to get as many certifications as possible for diving. in order to do that though i need help from anyone that has fibromyalgia and dives on a regular basis. since i am not using the standard gi bill i need to prove that what i want to go to school for, and the diving certifications i want to take, wont have a negative impact on my disabilities. the program i am using pays for everything id ever need to be successful, and its an opportunity not many people get. any pros/cons i can get will help me make my case so if you have any insight and can share your experiences id appreciate it. im tired of letting fibromyalgia beat me down and i want to take my life back.

Last edited:
While I am not aware personally of any research of effects on FM symptoms or of the adaptive diving needs, there are entire bodies of research in progress. Try contacting Diveheart for now. Soon I hope to have a database of answers for just this type of questions.

I read through the SB posts after I started this thread and it def has some useful information for me but I haven't checked out the others yet. The more ammo I can get the harder it will be for the VA to say no, which sadly happens more often than people might think. Thanks for the links, and I like the quotes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom