fiber optic cord vs electric sync cord

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I have decided to get an inon z240 strobe. Which type of sync cord is best? They are about the same price by the time you add up what is needed? I was told by one person that the fiber optic sync cord will allow you to use optical TTYL, is this true and how beneficial is it? I know the electric cord will not support TTYL since the housing is Ikelite and the strobe is Inon/

So I have decided to get an inon z240 strobe. Which type of sync cord is best? They are about the same price by the time you add up what is needed? I was told by one person that the fiber optic sync cord will allow you to use optical TTYL, is this true and how beneficial is it? I know the electric cord will not support TTYL since the housing is Ikelite and the strobe is Inon/

The Inon sTTL mode works very well when used with film or other blocking method over the camera's strobe and strobe to Forced, camera in program, ISO set to 100 for starters, Inon strobe in sTTL (Low) mode etc. Easy, works good.

The fiber optic cord works great with Inon strobes, others, I have no idea, with the Inon it is superb and very reliable and functional. N

Last edited:
Generally, your sync cord won't flood the camera, but the stupid little single 8mm o-ring that is supposed to seal it doesn't help the threads and the fine threads on the housing receptacle tend to corrode. I'm on my third $2-300 ttl converter and my second $180 dual sync cord. Oh yeah, the little pins that are supposed to spring up and make contact with the cord get corroded or bent and don't pop up sometimes, too.
Only downsides to optical sync are if your strobe doesn't always respond to the signal and the fact that your camera flash has to fire. This can sometimes slow down the camera's response to your shutter finger, use the battery up a bit faster and I'm told some people have had issues with the flash warming up the air in the housing enough to cause fogging. Can't verify this because I only used fiberoptic briefly before switching to hardwired ttl.

Back
Top Bottom