Fiber optic cable: inon vs 10bar vs fantasea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deur

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking into getting an E900 with an Inon Z240 strobe. Have been trawling through all the posts on this subject and found a lot of useful information.

Current question is what fiber optic cable to choose. Some use Inon (i was told the W9) others 10bar or fantasea cables.

Difference seems to be that the inon attaches to the diffuser on the Ikellite lens adapter, whereas the other 2 use a velcro attachment to the housing. I understand that most people find the velcro works better (or maybe I should say, they find the diffuser a PITA).

Looking at prices at the net the inon cable is 2x the price of the 10bar/fantasea, which makes me wonder if I am missing another difference.:confused:

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Deur

Do you mean just the attachment point to the camera or the entire cable assembly? If your using an Inon strobe, you much must use the Inon cable, reguardless of the connection you use at the camera end. The strobe to fiber connections are special connectors and I am not aware that anyone makes them besides Inon. You could possibly use the fantasea connector at the camera end, assuming the Inon fiber will fit into the connector.

Herman, I mean the entire cable. B&H Photo has a fantasea cable on their side that they say will fit to a Inon Z240 strobe and works with a velcro.

Regards,
Deur

Humm, I looked it up. It should work OK. The Inon connector has a reflecting mirror and is a lot more rugged. Alignment is important with a fiber cable and depending on how it is acomplished with the Fantasea cable it may or may not provide the same level of alignment as the Inon connection. It's hard to tell with just the photos.

Back
Top Bottom