Few questions about HID lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Modern HID is not as fragile as people lead to believe. I have seen some being drop, one even with goodman handle detached from the head, the bulb survived. Unless you are super rough with your gear, I don't think lack of toughness should be an issue. However, HID bulbs do wears out. It will get dimmer with age. Color wise, it really depends on the manufacture, or infact the bulb they source. I have seen the same brand of HID with different date of manufacture, the color is different. Same with LED light as well. HID will punch better in Monterey water.

Having that said, if I were to get a canister light today, I will definitely go for LED. Everything else aside, the smaller head of LED makes quite a bit of difference in easy of use IMO.

Modern HID is not as fragile as people lead to believe. I have seen some being drop, one even with goodman handle detached from the head, the bulb survived. Unless you are super rough with your gear, I don't think lack of toughness should be an issue.
This was my understanding as well. I'm generally pretty careful with my gear but definitely cognizant of the fact the bulb is vulnerable.

However, HID bulbs do wears out. It will get dimmer with age. Color wise, it really depends on the manufacture, or infact the bulb they source. I have seen the same brand of HID with different date of manufacture, the color is different.
This is news to me, I just assumed they were all pretty similar. Have you noticed that they are generally blue-ish?

HID bulb itself change color as it age. Usually they start out warmer, and become more blue as they age.

I actually don't notice HID beam being blueish. I have LM 21W. When I dive side by side with other HID, I have notice some are a littel more blueish, some are more yellowish, but different is slide. I wont be able to tell unless we are side by side

Main problem is that HID works with high voltage ( 21-24W works with cca 65V AC and Freq ??? ....and starts for sure with 6000V DC pulse)

Generally high voltage and frequency mean faster death to components .

Color of light depend from gas mixture inside small bulb and electrode wear ( it is very annoying the car which was then replaced only one bulb

so new HID shines bluish and other violet .)

HID was interesting because of ratio lumens amount /power consumption (35W ) which was much better than halogen bulb / power consumption (55 W ) which is standard bulb for H1 to H7.

Now these days we get http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/C...Modules/XLamp/Data-and-Binning/ds--XHP502.pdf

what is for normal diver even too much but it is challenge to made right optics to benefit fully from the amount of light emitted, reduce unnecessary reflections and of course lower power consumption.

IMO: if you really not made long dives , you don't need canister light ( these was in ''old days'' urgent to carry enough energy in relative short dive) , But these days sufficient and simplifies handling (as well as the light is close to neutral buoyancy because light LiOn battery pack inside )....like

LX20 Handheld Primary Light | Dive Rite

Halcyon Flare Handheld Dive Light

FinnSub Finn Light 3600 Short Torch (not very good Goodman - crossing should be flat and not round)

many of them can be converted in canister light if needed ... that is almost all philosophy.

Last edited:
Modern HID is not as fragile as people lead to believe. I have seen some being drop, one even with goodman handle detached from the head, the bulb survived. Unless you are super rough with your gear, I don't think lack of toughness should be an issue. However, HID bulbs do wears out. It will get dimmer with age. Color wise, it really depends on the manufacture, or infact the bulb they source. I have seen the same brand of HID with different date of manufacture, the color is different. Same with LED light as well. HID will punch better in Monterey water.
I know a guy who used to work at light monkey. I was asking about durability and he said modern bulbs are very tough. He pulled his bulb out of his light and beat it on the table, then put it back and fired it up. Apparently they use bulbs designed for use in car headlights and they have pretty severe life and shock requirements from the car manufacturers.

I have a LM 21w HID and I haven't broken the bulb yet....but I keep it covered up with a cut-in-half beer cozy until I get in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom