Ferry & bag drag - current status

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Curious if there are any recent reports on the ferry situation. I see horror stories from 2021 about insanely overcrowded ferries, horribly long lines, etc. Is that still the case or are things more normal-ish?

And how are they handling things covid-wise these days, from the perspective of someone who doesn't want to come down with omicron on day 4 of a dive trip? Still requiring masks? Do they generally have outside seating available on the boats? Is either Ultramar or Winjet preferable from this perspective?

And finally - with a 5pm arrival at CUN, is it crazy to try to do the bag drag, once you account for luggage, customs, traffic, etc? Am I going to risk not getting a seat on the last ferry?

The ferry is fine. The ferry schedules are back to pre pandemic schedules. Last ferry is at 10. You should be able to make the 8 pm if all goes well. There is outside seating, masks are required. The handyman we use was on the 10 pm ferry last night, he said there were only 20 people on it. Either ferry company is fine with me.

I took a friend to the ferry yesterday, not crowded at all. It seems like the above poster said its almost back to pre pandemic levels of full. Masks on the boat were required. They still are required in all indoor setting and in cabs, compliance in big stores is about 100% smaller it goes down.

Ferry is pretty normal. Masks required. Not very crowded last Friday afternoon, except outside seating, which was full. Inside was practically empty.

And hey there is a new ferry coming. 3rd option.
Our cab driver told us a few days ago that there will be a new ferry running between Xcaret and the old Acuario site; is that the one of which you speak?

Our cab driver told us a few days ago that there will be a new ferry running between Xcaret and the old Acuario site; is that the one of which you speak?
According to what I read Xcaret runs a ferry service from Cancun to Isla Mujeres and now is adding a playa cozumel service. Not a service to Xcaret. Like they are ferry company now too.

According to what I read Xcaret runs a ferry service from Cancun to Isla Mujeres and now is adding a playa cozumel service. Not a service to Xcaret. Like they are ferry company now too.
Yes, that's what I read as well.

Wherever it is to land on the Yucatan side, our driver told us that the company running the new ferry would be converting the old Acuario / Margaritaville site to their Cozumel side ferry landing. He mentioned Xcaret when he told us; that's why I thought he meant that it would go to Xcaret.

Back
Top Bottom