Fem-Pop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi AquaHump,

Femoropopliteal or "fem-pop" bypass replaces pathologically narrowed arteries above or below the knee. In general it has a good success and low complication rate, although the graft, which may be either natural or artificial, may re-narrow over time.

Typically this procedure is only performed when decreased blood flow results in painful and limiting signs and symptoms or threatens viability of the leg. This raises an important issue: Narrowing of the femoral and popliteal arteries most often is the result of build up of plaque on the inner lining of the vessels, also known as atherosclerosis. And, since atherosclerosis tends to be a widespread disease, severe involvement of the vessels of the leg can be an indicator of similar problems in other arteries. The diver undergoing fem-pop may want to be evaluated for vascular disease in other locations, most prominently the heart and brain.

As to how the fem-pop procedure in and of itself will effect diving, given a successful outcome there should be no limitations. An otherwise healthy and fit individual who receives good relief from the surgery likely can obtain medical clearance for return to diving once healing is complete and limb use is unrestricted.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Hi AquaHump,

Typically this procedure is only performed when decreased blood flow results in painful and limiting signs and symptoms or threatens viability of the leg. This raises an important issue: Narrowing of the femoral and popliteal arteries most often is the result of build up of plaque on the inner lining of the vessels, also known as atherosclerosis. And, since atherosclerosis tends to be a widespread disease, severe involvement of the vessels of the leg can be an indicator of similar problems in other arteries. The diver undergoing fem-pop may want to be evaluated for vascular disease in other locations, most prominently the heart and brain.

DocVikingo

Doc,

Thanks for for yoor time. To address the atherosclerosis issue. The vessels poor conditions is do to VERY bad trauma in 1997 and over time has coused problems. Yes there is pain after five minutes of exersion. The pain is in my calf and man it can realy hurt. In this same leg I have a blade plate and many screws. I am a 39 year old male and all my labs look great. I had a aniogram and the vessels have all been looked at.
Thank you again for your time. This is a realy odd case and I know that. Trauma sucks, unless I am working it:D

Hi AquaHump,

On balance, better the problem is the result of trauma than disseminated vascular disease.

Wishing you smooth surgery and an uneventful and full recovery.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom