Feedback on UltraCompact Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BikerManiac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am shopping for a new Ultracompact camera. Can anybody give me some recommendations?

Currently I have the Canon SD550 with the underwater housing. It's like 3-4 years old and I decided it's time for an upgrade. The camera takes great pictures, but the cameras nowadays should be 2 or 3 times better.

I was very impressed by the underwater pictures taken by the Sony T300 what about the T500 or T700? I have never been a fan of Sony since their first T series camera. But I have seeing some great pictures taken by the Sony cameras.

Or even the new Canon cameras like the SD870 or the new SD980?

Well any feedback is appreciated. I heard the Lumix are pretty good as well. I want something that can take good underwater pictures, good and fast focus and it would be great to have a wide angle as well.

I do not know how you would define UltraCompact but my Nikon Coolpix P5000 (10.1 mp) camera is pretty small and I love it. You have not mentioned how much money you want to spend?

I have invested about $2000+ in the camera, Ikelite housing, single Ike strobe plus lenses and spares. I am far from a professional but I can get some pretty good and lucky shots some times.
This was taken before my Macro lens purchase
BonaireGoldenMoray2.jpg

This was taken before my Macro lens purchase as well
BonaireAnemoneShrimp1.jpg

I believe this was with my Macro lens but I was having lighting issues (it was wholly the operator)
DSCN5095_1.JPG

Anyways, I think this camera has a lot of potential once I can actually use it as a camera and get out of P&S mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom