Feedback on new equipment purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wmcyow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good afternoon,

I just got certified 2 weeks ago - and I am starting to do some research on what gear I should be buying.

I plan to dive primarily in the St. Lawrence Seaway (avg temp between 48-70) 4-5 times a month - with an occasional trip every couple of years down south. I'm a pretty big guy -6'0 220.

The dive shop where I took my training has suggested the following kit - I was hoping to get some feedback on this setup, along with any recommendations anyone may have!

Zeagle Ranger BCD
Apeks XTX200 Reg
Apeks Egress Octo
Atom 2.0 Computer

The proposed cost for this kit is around $2400.

Thanks in advacne for your feedback/suggestions!

I just got certified 2 weeks ago ... I plan to dive primarily in the St. Lawrence Seaway (avg temp between 48-70) 4-5 times a month ... I'm a pretty big guy -6'0 220. ... The dive shop ... has suggested the following kit - Zeagle Ranger BCD; Apeks XTX200 Reg; Apeks Egress Octo; Atom 2.0 Computer. ...The proposed cost for this kit is around $2400.
You will be diving colder water, therefore using either thick neoprene or a drysuit, which will require some lead to achieve neutral buoyancy. The Ranger is an EXCELLENT BCD, - well-made, comfortable, 'fittable' - but it is somewhat positive, and may add to your weight burden. When I dove my Ranger and drysuit, at one point I added a DUI Weight and Trim harness because of the difficulty of getting all the needed weight in the Ranger pockets. At the risk of being flamed by some for saying it, you may wish to at least inquire at the LDS about starting with a backplate (stainless steel, rather than A) and wing rather than a BCD like the Ranger. Apeks XTX200 - outstanding reg, good choice. I dive one and love it. Do you 'need' a 200, could you dive very comfortably and safely for a little less? Probably, but it is a very good reg. The Oceanic Atom 2.0 is a good computer - wrist mounted, nitrox-capable, AI-capable. Many will argue whether you need AI or not. If the $2400 includes the transmitter for the Atom, then the package price is not unreasonable. Not a super bargain, but not unreasonable. If it does not include the transmitter then the price seems a bit on the high side, even for this kind of good, solid equipment.

I don't know how old you are or if you have great eyesight.
I dive a ATOM 2.0 and love it but on dark murky dives I can sometimes strain to read it. Eyes are going, age sucks! Anyway, you could also look at the VT-Pro, same basic computer but larger readout.

Ditto on the Wing and BP idea especially if you will be diving the Lawrence and using a lot of lead. Makes life more simple.
I Dive Quarries dry and wouldn't have it any other way. Same BP/Wing is good to go in the tropics too. IMHO

For the money you are spending, why not go all Zeagle if possible. I use the Ranger and love it. Great BC. I use the Zeagle DS/V you should look into that or the Flathead models. The Flathead Vi is what the Navy Zeals use. Zeagle makes a solid wrist computer too now. Well it's their version of the Seiko that Cressi, Aeris, Diverite, Tusa and maybe others use. It's very good and well priced.

However you picked some great pieces of equipment. I bought the Ranger, DS/V with an Envoy safe second, pressure gauge only and the Cressi Archimedes II for around $1500.

Hi wmcyow,
Congrats on getting cert'ed and welcome to the world of diving. The one piece of advice that I'll give you is unless you are getting an insanely great deal from the diveshop, there's not much reason to run out and drop $2400 in one shot on gear. Rent your gear for a while, get a feel for what you like and don't. When you're ready to buy, buy one piece of gear a time, get 10-20 dives on it, and when you feel like it is integrated into your setup, then go get the next piece. If you buy it all at once, you run the risk of ending up with stuff that you aren't truly happy with in the long haul, and having to re-buy. Have a great time diving! -Todd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom