Feedback needed for Meikon, Nauticam, or Sea & Sea housing for Sony a6000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mselenaous

Island girl
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Key Largo, FL... Dive Capital of the World
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a new camera! A Sony a6000 with all the topside gadgets. Now I need a housing.

There are three options out there. I'm looking for feedback on the best choice.
1-Nauticam
2- Sea & Sea
3- Meikon

Nauticam and Sealife, both well known brands, both run about $1600.
The Nauticam has a nice feature to pressurize the housing to help ensure the seal against water intrusion.
Meikon is $200 import from China, new on the market, not alot of info out there.

If you have a Sony A6000, which housing are you using? and why do you like it? What would you do differently?

Elena

Last edited:
I have a different camera, but I love my Nauticam housing. I am on my 3rd (due to changing cameras hehe). I love the vacuum system, as it gives me a lot of confidence. The battery lasts a long time! In fact, a friend you have met (Clay) has a battery test running in his right now, so far 13 or 14 days (I think), still working without interruption or loss of vacuum.

I would never use a plastic housing again, unless they are vastly improved in the future. My preference.

I bookmarked this thread, as I have the same camera. I have no previous experience with underwater photography, but now that I have a suitable camera, maybe I'll look into it. After housing, lights, Photoshop, etc., it seems like it can become a money pit.

It's definitely a money pit. No question about that!Also, it makes packing for dive trips a lot more "interesting."

Nauticam housings are great. The vacuum system is great. The negative pressure of the vacuum system also helps keep your housing closed. You certainly do not want to put positive pressure in your housing!

SeaLife is a brand of camera (not housing) that I don't particularly recommend. I think you meant to say Sea & Sea (Not SeaLife) makes a housing for your camera.

Basically you get what you pay for. Nauticam is the best, Sea & Sea would be a good second choice. Meikon housings are cheap and they have a reputation to match. My advice is get Nauticam if you can afford it, otherwise go for the Sea & Sea.

I did a review of the Nauticam housing that is up on the Optical Ocean Sales website. A great housing with some limitations of the camera mostly (slow sync speed, no manual flash control) but capable of some really nice photos.
The S&S housing is quite nice as well I am sure that there are no photos you could get with one that you can't get with the other. The Meikon is another kettle of fish entirely, not for me in any way.

Bill

Nauticam housings are great. The vacuum system is great. The negative pressure of the vacuum system also helps keep your housing closed. You certainly do not want to put positive pressure in your housing!

SeaLife is a brand of camera (not housing) that I don't particularly recommend. I think you meant to say Sea & Sea (Not SeaLife) makes a housing for your camera.

Basically you get what you pay for. Nauticam is the best, Sea & Sea would be a good second choice. Meikon housings are cheap and they have a reputation to match. My advice is get Nauticam if you can afford it, otherwise go for the Sea & Sea.

Thanks for catching that. I meant Sea & Sea. I don't have much experience with either of those brands.

This chap has done a good review on the Meikons
Meikon underwater housing - first impressions - Lloyd Clearihan Imagery

I suppose it depends on how much you dive and use it.
And how much money you've got burning a hole in your pocket !!

---------- Post added January 9th, 2015 at 12:32 AM ----------

Just to make it interesting... I just read in another forum that they have a new ALUMINUM housings for the RX100 series for less than $500.
Where do I sign up !!!! :D.
I've asked about plans for aluminium A6000 as well as Olynmpic OMx cameras.
Ive also read that they will be making many mfg's housings.
I don't think this company can be ignored. It seems their newer products are very good
See https://www.facebook.com/hkmeikon?fref=ts for some screenshots

---------- Post added January 9th, 2015 at 01:14 AM ----------

just learned an aluminum housing is in the works for a6000
no details on any details

search the forums for meikon ...seems to be good value fir the money

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom