Suggestion Feedback for LDS, Sites, Equip, Etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this earlier in response to a different thread. Thought the powers to be might want to take a look at the last couple of paragraphs for a new section for the board. Think eBay-like feedback section with short text and +,-,neutral rating to score LDS, Dive Site, Equip experience/satisfaction. My explanation lies below.

I'm with Fred on this. Many times in this industry, the problem lies with the manufacturer that the LDS deals in. I've heard people flame a LDS because they didn't get a product on time as promised by the LDS. The problem usually lies in our small niche companies and their production capabilities. Small manufacturer's take second fiddle to larger orders when getting components from a supplier.

As for operators, unsafe actions by crew members might be reported as they pertain to safety of a board member relying on a certain DM or Capt. The inherent problem is that these events often take place far from our LDS/operators and these positions turn-over quite frequently. A bad DM may be fired or move on quite quickly, but we would banish that operator due to outdated information.

I think we continue to post warnings about bad experiences sans names and offer a PM for someone traveling to that area in the near future so that they may make a relavent descision based on current status quo.

There is enough flaming on this board of equipment manufactures that sways uninformed people from making purchases that would be perfectly reasonable for their needs. For instance, over time, as a new member reads regulator posts, he or she will conclude that Apeks is the only way to go and forgo buying the Aqua Lung from their LDS. Whatever. I will give equipment that I have experience with a good or bad review, but never flame the other guys. Unless it's Halcyon. (Just kidding!)

Maybe we should have a scoring section of the board where we can put a +, -, or neutral feedback for equip, operators, dive sites, and dive shops. This would be like the feedback on eBay. Then a potential consumer could make up their own mind free of flame and use the SB feedback section as a tool for this descision.

"Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes."

Hi MEM Pilot,

Thanks for the idea and the lateral thinking :) No question that their is great value in direct experience thoughts with a given LDS, Hotel, etc. This is powerfull and valuable stuff.

Unfortunetly, it's subject to abuse and manipulation and requires control measures which may in fact not be available in the SB Forums script. It also requires venting which is labor intensive. For example:

- I post negative reviews on my competitor

- I post negative reviews which lack details

- I post positive reviews on my own shop

- The QOS changes for the better but the reviews/ratings do not reflect this.

- I'm in a bad mood so I post negative reviews on folks I have never dealt with.

- I'm in a good mood and need to raise my post count so I post positive reviews on numerous folks I have never dealt with.

What value lies in a review of a LDS located in New York if I live in California?

Certainly the eBay reviews/ratings have value but they are also abused and manipulated.

Please don't get me wrong, their is value in this kind of system but it needs to be measured against a current post which says: "I'm traveling to Aruba. Can you recomend a shop and or boat operator"

Responce: "I was in Aruba last month. xxx Shop are great folks who picked me up at my hotel and even carried my gear to the boat. Talk to Dr. Dimento for a great deal and please tell them that I sent you :) "

Edit: Perhaps the biggest challenge is the inherint conflict between a review system and a Community. They rarely mix. Books, hardware, and software sites which deploy only a Review system work quite well. Mixing the 2 in a Community environment is normally counter productive. A Community strives for accountability, shared experiences, civil discourse in a thread, topics which "glue" folks together, and much more.

Thanks again for the idea.

Back
Top Bottom