Feedback/Critique for expierienced Photog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

USN Ras

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all, I am an experienced photographer/photojournalist, been doing it for the past 18 years or so, but just recently got the opportunity to head underwater in Guam with some really nice gear that I want to make sure I am using to the best of my ability.

Nikon D5 in an Aquatica housing with YS-250 Pro strobes and/or Sola Video Pro lights. My big drawback is that I am limited to a Sigma 15mm fisheye lens.

Until now, I have only done point and shoot/GoPro photography underwater despite playing with much nicer toys on the surface. The Hawaii album in my link is point and shoot freediving stuff from last year so there are some motion blur issues.

The Guam albums are what I'm looking for feedback on. Lighting on the go is still a challenge at this point.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152831953@N08/albums
Jon Rasmussen’s albums | Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152831953@N08/albums
Thank you!

Overall impressions... get lower. Get closer. Be more strict about subject/focus. Your strobes have no effect from 1,5m. You can get some really nice photos with the Sigma, but your photos suffer from a top-down pow.
Use aperture to control background lighting, and shutterspeed/strobes to expose the subject/foreground properly. That way you get the popping colours.

PLEASE, do NOT have divers stand on the corals or touch any part of the reef!! You need to work on your composition, no need to show the entire background with unrelated objects/subjects. Make your subject stand out without the distractions.

It seems as if you are out of range for the strobes on many of your shots. Imla is quite right, get lower and closer. And 1.5' is long range for most shots. What I see is encouraging. I have the impression that you have a good feel for the photo. The 15 mm sigma is rather tough to use. It is so wide that it tends to flatten things out and you have to get REALLY close. I don't know what rig you have but with a port extender and your current dome, I bet you could shoot a wide zoom or a mid range zoom. But that solution involves $$$$.

For that lens to be used at its best, I agree with everyone else. Get close then get closer then get a bit closer. Keep a strong subject in the foreground and use negative space to enhance the main subject.
Bill

Nice things can be done with your rig and lens. A web search will reveal some of the images it's capable of.

Isolating a subject and paying attention to the background for composition is just as important underwater as on land.

Working with "flying" perspective, generally getting closer and looking up at the subject is a more pleasing photo.

General critique, please don't exhibit or encourage divers to damage the reef by grabbing/standing/impacting it. It's nice to have divers in the photo either as the subject or as a prop. Framing whee positioning them as such is important.

On the turtle photos strobe positioning made for uneven lighting which I personally felt didn't help the resulting image. There's great resources online for strobe placement basics.

As others have noted getting closer would be the most significant feedback I can provide.

Regards,
Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom