February Trip Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danzn16

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In search of a laid back land based dive trip where the afternoon can be stayed having drinks at a nice pool/beach, not to difficult to get to from NC. However we’ve done lots of sandals resort stays in the carribean at places were the diving is just so so but you’re still getting in the water. NOT looking for that anymore. I want it to be the BEST diving a laidback Caribbean vacation can provide. Healthy (as possible) reefs, bonus if maybe some seahorses.

Have been to curaçao and the beautiful healthy reefs at Eastpoint specifically is what I’m looking for if possible. Have been to Cozumel and the pretty colors and seahorses are also something I’m looking for. Looking for a new destination though.

Is there somewhere like that in the carribean that’s potentially better than curaçao and Cozumel? Is Bonaire better than curaçao? I’ve seen Roatan or Utica, Belize, Cayman Islands, Bonaire as top places in Caribbean. Should I just go back to curaçao? Should I just go do eagle ray season in Cozumel? For those who have been, where would you recommend? Bonus for place to stay rec as well.

We are doing Fuvahmaluh land stay and Maldives liveaboard in December, Socorro in May, so although me as the adventurer traveler/diver I’d love to do Indonesia or Galapagos in February I’m trying to find a laid back trip not to kill my my vacationer husband who likes to sleep in and eat and drink on vacation with just getting under the water as enough for his diving needs 🤣😬🙃 Trying to do a lazy trip in between the trips that feed my soul.

I would look at Bayahibe on the south Caribbean Sea side of the Dominican Republic. I have dove there 5 times already and are returning for our 6 time this November. There is reef diving, wall diving, wreck diving and even a cave dive. I have been diving for 25 years and I saw my first ever my first Seahorse (3 of them) there last year. I seen 2 on one dive and then another one the next day and this year I saw my first Octopus. I have seen several Sting Rays on almost every dive along with different species of Puffer Fish, etc. There isn't any big stuff though.
The most of the dive sites are less than 30 minutes away, most dive sites are less than 60/70 feet deep, and there no current to speak of.
This my opinion and most people will likely disagree with it but I don't care. I should also mention that my wife is a non diver but she snorkels a little. We were in Curacao last Oct and thought the diving was alright but not spectacular, it may have been due to the dive shop not venturing more than 10/15 minutes from their dock though and we do plan on going back again. I went to Bonaire once 18 years ago and have no desire to return, I found the diving boring and repetitive. I dove Cozumel once 13 years ago and thought the diving was good and plan on returning again.
I always dive with Scuba Fun Diving in Bayahibe with ScubaFun and stay at Dreams Dominicus which is only a 10 minute taxi ride away from the village of Bayahibe where Johns shop is located. The transportation to and from the resort is included in the dive price. https://www.hyattinclusivecollectio...reams/dominican-republic/dominicus-la-romana/
There is also a Iberostar, a Hilton, a Catalonia and a Sunscape.

If you want o message me I can point to my dive pictures on his Facebook page.

Little Cayman is the best diving on the healthiest reefs in the Caribbean in my opinion, but February can be a bit dicey depending on the weather. The best diving there is on the north side of the island, and winter brings winds with a northerly component pretty frequently that can wash out the north side diving. A good 2nd place is Cayman Brac. They have a better pool area, but not a true beach, and the south side sites are better than the LC south side sites in my opinion, so if the north side is washed out you can get good dives still.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom