February Training is in the history books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have said it over and over and I’m going to say it again. I could not be prouder of the guys on my team and again today they reinforced that feeling.

Today we show up at the Marine building at 0800 hours. After a briefing on the days-planned events we head out to our designed search areas.

I take three of the more experienced divers, one FNG and the team leader Sgt. and we head for our ramp.

Windy, snowing, fricken cold at around 15df, near zero vis deep water and water temps in the mid 30’s.

I’m safety officer and safety diver so I’m staying dry again because of this stinking cough. If something happens I’m gone but if not I’m staying topside.

The guys cover their search area up to 102’ and decide the object we are looking for is not there. After checking they said there is no evidence to indicate it ever was there.

So we go back to the other search area and see how my #2 and his team are doing. They hit a whopping 20’ and were able to clear their area then practice some line drills with two of the FNG’s.

Back at the Marine Building I give a class on the compass and gear maintenance.

As training tradition has it we go for Mexican food.
Man we need to stop that.
Then after loading with mucho flatulent morsels we go over to the YMCA pool in the Spokane Valley. It’s a big one and 12’ deep. We get two lanes to play in which is plenty of room.

We divide the team up into two groups for basic skills. I have one and my #2 has the other. We demo a skill then one at a time the member does it.

Then some full-face work to get them ready for better and bigger things in the future.

Now the fun starts. One student at a time we hit them hard. My #2 and I start screwing with the divers to see just how much of their training has sunk in.

Trip the weight belt. No big deal. Trip it again but now the BC straps get unsnapped. Just about the time they get themselves put back together I do a realistic OOA by just ripping the reg. out of their mouths. Even with a flooded mask, another weight belt trip and unhooked BC they kept it together and we couldn’t rattle them.

Not bad for a good seasoned PSD but the two we did this to just got their OW in late August. They had the mindset and skills to handle two of us constantly screwing with them.

They were not warned that we were going to do this to them. Did they get pissed? Not at all and they came up all smiles feeling a lot better about themselves.

The three FNG’s who are not yet certified watched. One was in the water but the other two were watching from poolside. They weren’t smiling as much as our victims and no where near as much as when we first got there. We told them they would be well trained and capable of handling that stuff before we ever pull that stunt on them. The grins slowly came back but I’m not sure they believe us.

Our plan is to do this pool work every 3 or 4 months. The next pool session will be about the same but they will be blacked out.

Damn I love this job. And did I tell you how proud I am of these guys?

Gary D.

I had a chat today with one of the new divers we hit pretty hard in the pool. I asked him how he was doing and if he had any questions. A simple Good and Nope.

I asked him how he felt about what we did now that he has some time to think about it.

He said he just remembered what I have been telling them and put it to use. As long as you have air you’re not in trouble.

He said he liked the experience and was looking forward to doing it blacked out. We might really screw with him and not do anything during the blackout. :D

It looks like for part of our next training we are going to put 4 or 5 patrol cars in one of the Marine building bays right off the street as we are set up for patrol.

Then the lights are going out and the stopwatch started to see how long it takes to get ready to hit the water with NO mistakes.

This is an interesting drill. It is not a competition at all but a drill to show each diver where he needs to improve in his gear knowledge. The better that knowledge, the better response time and the safer the team is as a whole.

They are also setting up a trip to visit the chamber in Spokane. After that a night dive is the plan.

I also saw two of the three FNG’s today. I asked them if they were ready to start and they aren’t saying much at this point. :D They will do just fine. If we didn’t think they would they would have never made it this far.

Looks like the end of next month is going to be fun.

Gary D.

That sounds like some great training. I want to come and train with you guys!:D

We are trying to plan our training for the year. We have an odd mix of divers with ranging experience and training. A number of the guys who have a fair amount of training under their belt have stopped diving.

I've gotten the impression that your trainings are a portion of a larger plan. That is what we need. We put together training but it isn't a part of a larger picture.

Any suggestions? Have any ideas for getting the new guys comfortable without driving off those with more experience? We have decent equipment and enough money, but are limited in the amount of time we can spend training because everyone is busy.

I'll happily take any suggestions anyone might have.
Thanks in advance :)
Tol

Tol:
We are trying to plan our training for the year. We have an odd mix of divers with ranging experience and training. A number of the guys who have a fair amount of training under their belt have stopped diving.

I've gotten the impression that your trainings are a portion of a larger plan. That is what we need. We put together training but it isn't a part of a larger picture.

Any suggestions? Have any ideas for getting the new guys comfortable without driving off those with more experience? We have decent equipment and enough money, but are limited in the amount of time we can spend training because everyone is busy.

I'll happily take any suggestions anyone might have.
Thanks in advance :)
Tol
Have you tried to have each diver take a month and have them plan and conduct the training? It can make them feel a little more a part of the team.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom