February diving in the Similans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marigodiva

Registered
Reaction score
Some of you have been wondering about keeping reservations to Phuket and diving in the Similans after the tsunami. I have one word for you: GO! Four of us just returned from a 3 day liveaboard from the Similans. We booked through Sea Bees in Kata on the Genesis. The length of the trip changed a little after the tsunami due to the damage in Khao Lak to the area surrounding the dive shop. The boat was actually suppose to leave from Tap Lamu near Khao Lak, but instead left from Chalong Bay at the south end of Phuket. So, our boat left on the 30th and drove during the night to reach the Similans. Nothing major. We did 4 dives the first 2 days and 3 dives on the last day heading back to Khao Lak, where we finished our trip.

The crew of the boat was amazing and so nice and helpful. The food was more amazing than I thought it would be. I am vegetarian and usually find enough to eat without having special meals made, which I told them, but the cook made special meals anyway, usually a meatless version of what everyone else was having. We ate 5 times a day with snacks and lots of fruit, very good. The sleeping quarters were tight, but functional. My biggest complaint were all of the other customers smoking on the boat, constantly. It gets a little old to the non-smokers. But, the second hand smoke did not impact the diving. Which takes me to the next point...

We dove at islands 3,4,5,7,and 9. We also dove at Koh Bon and the Boonsung wreck. The visibility was amazing. It was 90 feet! (30 meters) It was literally like swimming in a well stocked aquarium. There were countless tiny, small, medium and occasionally a big fish. Many schools, lots of clownfish in their anemones, so cute..., many sharks, leopard and white tipped reef varieties. On the last day at Koh Bon we actually saw a Manta Ray with a wing span of about 10-12 feet. It was great. We saw sting rays, moray eels, Sweet lips, lion fish, Scorpion fish, Sea snakes, puffer fish, parrot fish, just to name a few. I would definitely recommend those of you who are contemplating this trip to go. The dive sites were less crowded due to people canceling or just not booking their trips due to the tsunami, which was kind of nice to have them to ourselves. We visited a few islands and were able to go to the beach too which was fun to explore the islands a bit. The damage from the tsunami was localized just like we were told before making the trip. Sometimes at the end of a dive you could see where the coral had been busted off or torn through, but mostly everything was in tact. The only dive I wouldn't recommend is the Boonsung wreck. Maybe we hit it on a bad day, but visibility was about 3 feet. Hard to see anything, but we did see some tiny eels and lion fish. Our dive master, Mira, was great. She was informative, experienced and patient. The four of us who were on the trip together had her to ourselves and she was great. The other dive master, Christian was also very nice and informative. On the way back, we found a pod (?) of dolphins, maybe 100-150 all together. They were so playful and seemed to be swimming in every direction around the boat. It was very cool, they were jumping out of the water there were so many I can't even describe it!

As far as the beaches, they were relatively clean, Patong a little dirtier than the others, probably just due to the larger trafficed area. There was definitely damage to the businesses and hotels along the beaches, but there are plenty of areas to stay that are fine and it is easy to avoid the damaged areas, if you want to. We stayed in Bang Tao beach at the Allamanda which was nice. There are five hotels around a lagoon. This hotel was on the lower end of the five, but very nice for us. $120 US a night for a 2 bedroom room, very spacious. Bang Tao beach is a little out of the way of Patong which has its pros and cons. Far from the cheaper shopping and better selection of restaurants, but out of the way. It has a beach near, but is not on the beach. Bang Tao beach is reachable by water shuttle across the lagoon or by tuk tuk, all free of charge. The beach was very nice, 3 km or 1.4 (?) miles long, very clean and beautiful. We had beautiful weather and such a good time! Any doubts, ask me a question or two and I will try to answer. We are still in Singapore staying with or friends and will be going back to the US on Sunday. GO DIVE THE SIMILANS!

Mari

Mari,

Thank you for the nice report. I am planning a trip to Phuket in the middle of April and am contemplating a liveaboard to the Similans as well.
How much was the liveaboard per person?
Do people smoke in the inside the boat/sleeping quarters? (I didn't even think about that, as I am a non-smoker and my eyes get irritated easily)

Glad you had a great time, I hope to do the same very soon.

Phil

marigodiva:
Some of you have been wondering about keeping reservations to Phuket and diving in the Similans after the tsunami. I have one word for you: GO! Four of us just returned from a 3 day liveaboard from the Similans. We booked through Sea Bees in Kata on the Genesis. The length of the trip changed a little after the tsunami due to the damage in Khao Lak to the area surrounding the dive shop. The boat was actually suppose to leave from Tap Lamu near Khao Lak, but instead left from Chalong Bay at the south end of Phuket. So, our boat left on the 30th and drove during the night to reach the Similans. Nothing major. We did 4 dives the first 2 days and 3 dives on the last day heading back to Khao Lak, where we finished our trip.

The crew of the boat was amazing and so nice and helpful. The food was more amazing than I thought it would be. I am vegetarian and usually find enough to eat without having special meals made, which I told them, but the cook made special meals anyway, usually a meatless version of what everyone else was having. We ate 5 times a day with snacks and lots of fruit, very good. The sleeping quarters were tight, but functional. My biggest complaint were all of the other customers smoking on the boat, constantly. It gets a little old to the non-smokers. But, the second hand smoke did not impact the diving. Which takes me to the next point...

We dove at islands 3,4,5,7,and 9. We also dove at Koh Bon and the Boonsung wreck. The visibility was amazing. It was 90 feet! (30 meters) It was literally like swimming in a well stocked aquarium. There were countless tiny, small, medium and occasionally a big fish. Many schools, lots of clownfish in their anemones, so cute..., many sharks, leopard and white tipped reef varieties. On the last day at Koh Bon we actually saw a Manta Ray with a wing span of about 10-12 feet. It was great. We saw sting rays, moray eels, Sweet lips, lion fish, Scorpion fish, Sea snakes, puffer fish, parrot fish, just to name a few. I would definitely recommend those of you who are contemplating this trip to go. The dive sites were less crowded due to people canceling or just not booking their trips due to the tsunami, which was kind of nice to have them to ourselves. We visited a few islands and were able to go to the beach too which was fun to explore the islands a bit. The damage from the tsunami was localized just like we were told before making the trip. Sometimes at the end of a dive you could see where the coral had been busted off or torn through, but mostly everything was in tact. The only dive I wouldn't recommend is the Boonsung wreck. Maybe we hit it on a bad day, but visibility was about 3 feet. Hard to see anything, but we did see some tiny eels and lion fish. Our dive master, Mira, was great. She was informative, experienced and patient. The four of us who were on the trip together had her to ourselves and she was great. The other dive master, Christian was also very nice and informative. On the way back, we found a pod (?) of dolphins, maybe 100-150 all together. They were so playful and seemed to be swimming in every direction around the boat. It was very cool, they were jumping out of the water there were so many I can't even describe it!

As far as the beaches, they were relatively clean, Patong a little dirtier than the others, probably just due to the larger trafficed area. There was definitely damage to the businesses and hotels along the beaches, but there are plenty of areas to stay that are fine and it is easy to avoid the damaged areas, if you want to. We stayed in Bang Tao beach at the Allamanda which was nice. There are five hotels around a lagoon. This hotel was on the lower end of the five, but very nice for us. $120 US a night for a 2 bedroom room, very spacious. Bang Tao beach is a little out of the way of Patong which has its pros and cons. Far from the cheaper shopping and better selection of restaurants, but out of the way. It has a beach near, but is not on the beach. Bang Tao beach is reachable by water shuttle across the lagoon or by tuk tuk, all free of charge. The beach was very nice, 3 km or 1.4 (?) miles long, very clean and beautiful. We had beautiful weather and such a good time! Any doubts, ask me a question or two and I will try to answer. We are still in Singapore staying with or friends and will be going back to the US on Sunday. GO DIVE THE SIMILANS!

Mari

Nice to hear you liked i, I am going next Friday. One question: what was the water temp. like? I have heard rumours that this dropepd about 4 degrees Centigrade....hard to believe, but your real life experience would help me.

Thanks,

TeqP:
Mari,

Thank you for the nice report. I am planning a trip to Phuket in the middle of April and am contemplating a liveaboard to the Similans as well.
How much was the liveaboard per person?
Do people smoke in the inside the boat/sleeping quarters? (I didn't even think about that, as I am a non-smoker and my eyes get irritated easily)

Glad you had a great time, I hope to do the same very soon.

Phil

The price on the Genesis through Sea Bees was about $520 US per person not including rental equipment, which was I think about $15 per person per day. Thant was the price for a two night liveaboard originally, which turned out to be three nights like I said. Steven from Sea Bees in Kata is out there I'm sure and could straighten me out if I am off.

As far as the smoking, it was not allowed in the sleeping quarters, thank goodness. The other divers were doing it from 7am to bedtime though. There were places to get away from it though, and usually some fresh air on the bow of the boat. I guess it all depends who else is on the boat...

Mari

Meng_Tze:
Nice to hear you liked i, I am going next Friday. One question: what was the water temp. like? I have heard rumours that this dropepd about 4 degrees Centigrade....hard to believe, but your real life experience would help me.

Thanks,

So, I just read a post by Steven from Sea Bees that said the water temp in the Similans is about 27-28 degrees C, I think about 80 or so F. I dove in Belize last year and got cold with a 3 mm shorty, so I bought a full 3 mm wetsuit for this trip and never got cold in the water. You could feel the cold water on one or two dives near the thermoclines, but never really got cold. Hope you have fun, it was such excellent diving!
Mari

marigodiva:
I guess it all depends who else is on the boat...

Indeed it does.

I think all boats in this area have a no smoking policy in indoor areas and on the dive deck, but I don't know of any non smoking boats.

It's always amazed me how many divers smoke, especially the divemasters! When I did my DM course, we had about 10 staff in the dive center and I swear I was the only non smoker. Made up for it with the drink though..ha ha.

Sunrise:
It's always amazed me how many divers smoke...

Yes, it surprised me too, it doesn't seem like diving and smoking go hand in hand....it was quite annoying at first, but I kind of got used to the second hand smoke in my food, etc after a day or so!

Mari

marigodiva:
So, I just read a post by Steven from Sea Bees that said the water temp in the Similans is about 27-28 degrees C, I think about 80 or so F. I dove in Belize last year and got cold with a 3 mm shorty, so I bought a full 3 mm wetsuit for this trip and never got cold in the water. You could feel the cold water on one or two dives near the thermoclines, but never really got cold. Hope you have fun, it was such excellent diving!
Mari
Thanks,
I can do 27-28 in a 5mm shroty... (which is what I only have here anyway).

Regards :crafty:

Price indicated by marigodiva is correct.

About smoking: don't know why, but lots of divers smoke (including me). One would expect some common deceny though, and at least refrain from smoking while people are eating etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom