February 27 at Porteau Cove Wall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit 4 life

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally looks like i might get a chance to go diving if I don't end up having to work that that Saturday.

Would like to know if anyone has any information regarding access to Porteau Cove Wall?
It's been over a year since the last time I was there so I have no idea if its even accessible anymore.

Thanks,
Dave

We tried to get there at the end of December, but the last section of the road was blocked off. You could still get there if you were willing to do a long walk or swim, but it wouldn't be a lot of fun.

BC Parks or the facility operator is trying to take some profit on the Olympics and jacked up the rates for camping at Porteau during the Olympics. The park will be open, it's anybody's guess if they will let you drive your stuff near to the wall.

Hi, I have not dove the wall at Porteau. Could you please provide some specific instructions where the wall is. I understand it is near the end of the camping grounds?
Also, is the wall relatively short? How deep before you hit sand?
Thanks in advance.

Hi, I have not dove the wall at Porteau. Could you please provide some specific instructions where the wall is. I understand it is near the end of the camping grounds?
Also, is the wall relatively short? How deep before you hit sand?
Thanks in advance.

Are you familiar with the park itself? If so, drive past the camping with cars to the parking area that leads to camping without cars. There is a little lagoon with a small walking bridge. Get in there. You will be on the left side and toward the back of a cliff.

Keep swimming along this left side until you get to more open water on the other side. The wall is the other side to your right as you're facing the open water. I've only done it once and I did it as a night dive but I recall it being about 100 fsw max depth and it's reasonably wide I guess. It's the width of that cliff.

We saw a GPO out in the open on the wall and as I remember the wall isn't exactly covered with life like "The Cut" at Whytecliff but I found it more interesting than the other parts of Porteau Cove...the outer areas with the boats but that's just personal preference.

fyi, they won't let divers drive in since the camp ground is full. It is too far to walk the gear in, and too far to scooter to from the main parking lot.
So I guess this can only be done in the winter when no one is camping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom