Feb 2019 7 day trip to Philippines, Cant decide where to go.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Linemandiver

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be taking a dive trip Feb of 2019 to Philippines then on to Thailand. I'll be at each for about a week. I have my time in Thailand all planned what I need help with is my time in the Philippines.

When I first had the idea of going to Philippines I was going to go to Puerto Galera. Then when I asked my usual dive buddy if he wanted to join me he said he could trade weeks and use his time share in cebu. Now due to financial issues he can no longer go. Now after spending time researching both I cant decide between them.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. But, what I like about them both is they have decent diving and a fun nightlife, close to airports and I don't want to stay at multiple locations. I would rather book at one resort and maybe have to dive the same sight more than once or not have as spectacular of a dive as other locations and not have to travel a lot.

So I would like to hear your thoughts, pros and cons, of Puerto Galera and cebu (Mactan). In regards to diving, nightlife, airports and travel around town. Thanks

I would say it really depends on what you're looking for regarding nightlife and such.

My first impression is "use my buddy's time share in Cebu?.... Hell yeah!!!!" Basically, I would say that's your answer right there :D.

Getting around Cebu should be plenty easy. The diving is really good "down south" as well as Anilao/Puerto Galera. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

I will add that Cebu Mactan airport is much better than Manila's NAIA airport.... by a lot... LOL.

Edit to add: Feb is the perfect time to come out, weather wise....

I can throw in another option, although I am a little bit bias! I know you asked about a comparison between Cebu and PG. However, February is one of the best months to dive Subic Bay. Diving here will tick all your box's and you will have a ton of fun. With over 15 - 20 primary dive sites, mostly all historic wrecks you won't be bored diving. This area has a ton of history. You will not be bored with the nightlife and there are a lot of other other things to do. Lodging is super cheap as is food and brew. Barrio Barretto is a walkable little beach town, has a great nightlife, a good group of expats divers to hang out and point you in the right direction and overall a super cool place to go for a first dive trip to PI.

Easy peasy to get to, A 4 hour drive from Manila Airport or 1.5 hours from Clark Airport or treat yourself and take the Seaplane from Manila to Subic. (21min) .

Happy to help you out if you have any questions.

T-ShirtWrecks1.jpg

with only a week, my vote is puerto galera. good night life, selection of food, wide selection of diving right out the front door. if you stay in cebu city itself, it's 3 hours north (malapascua) 3 hours south (moalboal) to dive. others can speak of the diving in mactan, but you shouldn't be surprised by a 1 hour crawl through traffic to get there from central cebu area (fuente). final answer.

Thanks for all the great replies, unfortunately I ruptured a disk in my back at work and had to have surgery, so I will now be going in Feb, 2020

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom