feb 2013....komodo, PNG......or perhaps cocos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning for a dive trip in feb/mar 2013. I've done the Kona Aggressor, the Star Dancer in its north New Britain itinerary (but now its in Milne Bay), and the Tropic Dancer in Palau.

I'm much more of a critter diver and that's why PNG (Milne Bay) on Star Dancer OR Komodo National Park on Komodo Dancer is near the top of the list. I'd consider Cocos Island but I'm really not a shark diver - I'll go one day but critter diving is much more my speed.

My question is: I've heard Komodo Nat'l Park has optimal conditions May-Oct....but I've also heard they have low rainfall all year. Are their high winds/high seas during February? It stands to reason that february would be their summer......does anyone have any advice?

Also, if you think I should do Milne Bay instead I'm open for convincing! If you can make a strong case for Cocos feel free but it's the distant 3rd on my list.

Any and all comments are much appreciated.

The problem with Komodo in winter is that many boats will not go to the southern sites due to sea conditions resulting from the monsoon winds. In Indonesia in February, for a liveaboard, instead of Komodo, IMO, you should be considering Raja Ampat. Lots of critters!

If you're looking for critters and are not as impressed with amazing wide angle stuff, Milne Bay in PNG is better than Komodo or Raja Ampat. Raja Ampat has some of the best wide angle diving I've seen anywhere (excluding the big animals of the Bahamas, Socorro or Galapagos), but the macro is not as good as what I saw in multiple areas of PNG. Komodo was OK, but the water is either blue and cold or green and warm, depending on when you go. Feb is definitely rainy season. There are just a few months with optimal conditions. There is some great macro in Horseshoe Bay, but again, it isn't Lembeh. If you can get out to Alor or Pantar, the critters are much more interesting there.

I haven't done a trip report for Komodo (yet...maybe some day), but I just got back from an extended trip in March. We had lots of wind and rain on the tail end of a cyclone that affected the first half of the trip. Viz was between OK and horrible, depending on the dive site, but the water was blue. You might be able to pick up a few notes from several other trip reports I've done in the past.

Komodo photos:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3481678130224.2157997.1519452082&type=3&l=0e64785283
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2418839999935.2136868.1519452082&type=3&l=102bbdc412

Raja Ampat
Diving Raja Ampat Trip Report - Dive Damai, December 2010

If you go to PNG, seriously consider a trip to the highlands:
Papua New Guinea Highlands Trip Report - October 2008

A few more photos with diving in Milne Bay area:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1034194104653.2006645.1519452082&type=3&l=0b429b0b7b

PNG trip report from East New Britain Island:
Papua New Guinea Photos and Star Dancer Trip Report, underwater photograrphy, Tawali, Loloata and Rabaul

If you want really great macro, you might also consider the Philippines.

Hope this helps!
Bonnie

Bonnie,

Thanks so much for the note.....you've confirmed/given-insite-to my suspicions. I really think I'd have a nice time in Komodo, but PNG just seems to be beckoning me. The great thing about my trip to north New Britain (in PNG) was the morning bommie diving and the afternoon and evening muck dives. Sometimes we'd do a night dive on a reef but mostly it was black sand diving. I really thought muck diving would just be something fun to "try".....I really miss it and I like the slow laid back tone of that type of dive destination.

I'm 80% certain that my next trip will be back to PNG - but this time it'll be to Milne Bay. And even then, after 10 days on a liveaboard - I'll still probably not have my fix! Maybe PNG is a destination I need to return to every 2 or 3 trips. It is just such special and seldom visited place.

Thanks so much for your comments thus far - both Bonnie and Quero - keep them coming if you want to add anything - that goes for everybody.

Eric

For a trip next year, I've been comparing dive video I could find of PNG Milne Bay and Raja Ampat (including my own). My conclusion has been that I don't see as lush life or lush coral life in the PNG video as I saw in Raja Ampat. Yes, it is very good but I never seen the large schools, except bait balls, or wide areas of lush coral and life like I saw in RA. Many places in RA, fish were mostly small size but there were very dense schools, while some places had large fish. Boo Island was particularly awesome. My thought has been pretty much guaranteed great diving in RA, but no sharks expect wobbegongs (which are very cool though) or PNG, a new place for me with pelagics but maybe not so many coral gardens up to RA standards.

I don't understand Bonnies comment about "more critters but not wide angle stuff" in PNG. And green water, you mean green video, yeah, I got that...must switch to MWB video housing.

Hi Shatsa - when did you go to RA
I'm interested because of the dynamite fishing and you may not get the same experience if you go again

For a trip next year, I've been comparing dive video I could find of PNG Milne Bay and Raja Ampat (including my own). My conclusion has been that I don't see as lush life or lush coral life in the PNG video as I saw in Raja Ampat. Yes, it is very good but I never seen the large schools, except bait balls, or wide areas of lush coral and life like I saw in RA. Many places in RA, fish were mostly small size but there were very dense schools, while some places had large fish. Boo Island was particularly awesome. My thought has been pretty much guaranteed great diving in RA, but no sharks expect wobbegongs (which are very cool though) or PNG, a new place for me with pelagics but maybe not so many coral gardens up to RA standards.

I don't understand Bonnies comment about "more critters but not wide angle stuff" in PNG. And green water, you mean green video, yeah, I got that...must switch to MWB video housing.

---------- Post added ----------

Hi Shatsa - when did you go to RA
I'm interested because of the dynamite fishing and you may not get the same experience if you go again

Was just at Raja doing a relocation cruise from Sorong to Lembeh. Saw no evidence of dynamite fishing in Raja. Lots of evidence once we left the protected area. While I don't doubt that there is dynamite fishing being done in the protected zone we did not see any damaged reefs inside the zone and we didn't see any undamaged reefs outside of the zone.

Interestingly over three trips in 5 years I have noticed that sharks seem to be making a comeback. On the first trip I saw none, second trip a couple, third trip a couple dozen - mostly very young. Likely they won't last long, given the price of fins and the demand, but there is some hope.

On the critter diving front I would say that my ratio within Raja was about 50/50 wide angle and macro. Lots of fish, lots of critters and lots of soft coral for colour. Have not been to Komodo or PNG so nothing to compare to. Quite enjoyed Lembeh - Black Sands Resort - lots of critters, but also lots of sand while looking for critters.

Back
Top Bottom