Trip Report Feb 19~26, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Tank 58

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hotel Cozumel & Resort - Deep Blue
We arrived in Coz on Friday 2-19 via Sun Country airlines. After clearing clearing Mexico customs with no troubles, we walked off the airport and caught a taxi to Hotel Cozumel. The weather was partly cloudy, we there were a few showers in the area. Saturday was a little rainy with a Norte that closed the port. Thursday evening a shower blew through otherwise we had highs in the low to mid 80,s with partly cloudy to mostly sunny days.

Hotel Cozumel & Resort was spotless, and they went to great lengths to keep it clean, safe & sanitized. Hotel staff and most guests wore masks when walking around the property. Every time you came in you walked through a sanitation tray to sanitize your shoes, were given hand sanitizer and they took your temperature. (this was the norm at every business and restaurant on the island) The hotel has mad some changes also, for the most part gone are the buffets probably due to covid. The first morning breakfast was served in dinning room by the check in desk. However after that it was served across the street by the sea. Breakfast was buffet style with Berta cooking eggs to order. The main difference is the buffet is not self serve. You tell them what you want the dish it up for you. There is no buffet at pool snack bar, its all cooked to order. They only had 1 person waiting on guests by the pool so that was a little slow. However there was never very many people around the pool. I would guess the occupancy rate was around 20%. We ate only one evening meal at the hotel and it was ok, breakfasts were wonderful as always and usually ordered lunch from the snack bar at the pool. (note we were on the AI option)

The diving with Deep Blue was excellent. The reef quality has improved but the sea life was not as plentiful as I had hoped. Water temp was 82-83F current was very mild. I would like to thank the Deep Blue staff, we were greeted by Gigi when we arrived and scheduled our diving. Our dive master was probably the newest of the staff, Joel a very nice young man that was born and raised on the island. Deborah and her staff run great dive shop. I'll let the pics speak for the diving.

We usually go out to eat in the evening our restaurants this trip included ; El Moro, Coconuts,
La Choza, La Monina, La Mission, Rolandi's & Jeanie's 2x. We never got a bad meal. Everyone seemed genuinely glad we were there. While I know the little amount we spent there does not make up for the huge amount of tourists that are not there, I hope it helped in some small way. If your thinking about going to Coz my advice would be just go. Enjoy the friendly people of the island they will be glad to see you, and you will be glad you went.

The covid testing for us was very simple, done at the hotel for $32.00 and results in 20 minutes. For what its worth the the lady giving the tests said the have had only 1 positive test at hotel since January when the testing began.

Attachments

• rIMG_0041.jpg
    rIMG_0041.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 79
  • rIMG_0153.jpg
    rIMG_0153.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 87
  • rIMG_0076.jpg
    rIMG_0076.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 87
  • rIMG_0063.jpg
    rIMG_0063.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 84
The diving with Deep Blue was excellent.

Good to hear things went well. I was going to ask what tank sizes they had, then cut to their website, and per the FAQ:

"Our standard tanks are AL 80. For a small extra charge we also have available AL 100 for those who are a little heavy on their air consumption as well as Al 50 pony tanks for those of who hardly use any air."

Cozumel has a number of very reputable dive op.s, and people researching a trip who run across this thread may be debating which to go with. You were happy with Deep Blue...any things you think particularly stand out about them?

Good to hear things went well. I was going to ask what tank sizes they had, then cut to their website, and per the FAQ:

"Our standard tanks are AL 80. For a small extra charge we also have available AL 100 for those who are a little heavy on their air consumption as well as Al 50 pony tanks for those of who hardly use any air."

Cozumel has a number of very reputable dive op.s, and people researching a trip who run across this thread may be debating which to go with. You were happy with Deep Blue...any things you think particularly stand out about them?
We have dove with other shops a couple of times but we keep going to Deep Blue. They are very easy to work with. Their communication is excellent. They have small fast boats and very experienced boat captains and dive masters. We also like their departure time. Deep Blue departs the downtown pier at 9am picks us up at Hotel Cozumel at 9:15 giving us a much more relaxed morning and plenty of time for breakfast, and we often pass the cattle boats on the way to the reef. This trip we were the last boat to leave the Hotel pier and were always the 1st boat back this year we were on the Medusa. They are just a great bunch that work there.deepblue_boats2 (1).jpg

I've done quite a bit of diving with Deep Blue and agree with Big Tank 58's comments.

Deep Blue is a good choice if...

You want to leave a little later in the morning.
You are staying downtown and want to get on a boat downtown.
You are staying between downtown and the marina and you want to get picked up and dropped off at your hotel pier.
You want to dive and have little chance of being near other boats topside or groups underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom