FE Arctic Shrinkage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Endler's

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
'Received Fourth Element Arctic Top from Leisure Pro. (They are closing out old model, for fair price.) When I got my FE thermocline vest, the FE sizing chart put me in Large. Had to return for Extra Large. XL fits like glove.

'Figured an XL Arctic would fit same. However, unlike pictures of the FE models, undergarment seems slightly baggy to me. Vendor no longer has size Large in stock to try. I would like to keep garment. Google pulls up single UK thread, that claims various shrinkages. Of course, you can shrink plastic garments in dryer, but I melted my favorite issue polypro underwear in dryer, and would not want to risk an expensive undergarment. My hope is, that laundering to tag requirements (Do not tumble dry), the garment will contract a small amount.

Divers that wear FE Arctic's, how much shrinkage (of garment) have you noticed? Thanks in advance!

So the FE Xerotherm baselayer, is same material as Artic, but half the weight (speaking materially). Anyone ever accidently machine dry or wash hot, either garment? Shrinkage?

So the FE Xerotherm baselayer, is same material as Artic, but half the weight (speaking materially). Anyone ever accidently machine dry or wash hot, either garment? Shrinkage?
Polyester/nylon blend, neither arctic nor xerotherm are going to appreciably shrink with hot water or a hot dry cycle, they'll just get beat up. I wash my xerotherm glove liners with my polyester baselayers weekly in warm water and medium dryer temp and they haven't shrunk a smidge. If the Arctics are too big, you're pretty much going to have to return them and get something better fitting, no one has last years model left over in large that I've seen. I know what you mean about the thermocline sizing, I felt like 10 pounds of sausage stuffed in a 5 pound tube.

I picked up a set of Arctics at closeout prices too. I only use them in the early spring, far too warm in the summer while suiting up. I've found Meshtecs to be far more breathable topside, and with a decent ringspun poly baselayer, (for me) comfortable down to about 38-40F for dives under an hour, also slightly less bulky requiring slightly less lead. Only downside I've found on the Meshtecs vs the Arctics is the pants only come in regular sizes (no large-short), so I had to wack a few inches off the bottom and re-hem them.

I know what you mean about the thermocline sizing, I felt like 10 pounds of sausage stuffed in a 5 pound tube.

How 'bout the fit of the FE J2 Baselayers and Xerotherms compared to their size chart? Any and all wearers, please chime in. I have 38" waist. Thanks in advance!

1721432012312.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom