Favorite operators - Providenciales, Turks and Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsafanda

Contributor
Reaction score
Going to be on Providenciales for a week in March. We're hoping to dive nearly everyday. I'm curious what dive operators people would recommend. Caicos Adventures seems like a large and well established operation but I'd also love to know about any smaller operators that people have had good experiences with. Any help is much appreciated!!

Oh...btw...feel free to chime in with any don't miss dives that I should be sure to get in.

We are also heading to Provo in May. I have been researching dive ops just like you. I found this on scubadiving.com

http://dive.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?f=1&i=1025464&t=1025464

If the link doesn't work, try searching for Mini trip report/recommendation:
Provo Turtle Divers, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos.

FWIT, I contacted Provo Turtle divers via email and got a reply in less than 1 hour, answering all my questions about diving. I contacted Caicos Adventures a week ago and still no response... If responsiveness to inquiries is any indication of the quality of the operation, I know who I will dive with...

dsafanda:
Going to be on Providenciales for a week in March. We're hoping to dive nearly everyday. I'm curious what dive operators people would recommend. Caicos Adventures seems like a large and well established operation but I'd also love to know about any smaller operators that people have had good experiences with. Any help is much appreciated!!

Oh...btw...feel free to chime in with any don't miss dives that I should be sure to get in.

Have been to "BIG BLUE", but I like "Caicos Adventures w/Fifi" the best, also his boat is the nicest.

I have been going to Provo for many years. I have dove with both Caicos Adventures and Provo Turtle Divers. Both ops now run out of the South Dock and take their divers to either West Caicos or French Cay. This is where the best diving is to be found. The biggest difference between the two ops is the boats. CA runs a big power cat that is positively the best dive platform that I have ever had the privelege of diving from. It never seems crowded and has excellent facilities since it was built to CA specs. It is unique in my experience. The other plus to CA is the people. The DM's are outstanding. If you choose them tell Fifi and Asa I said hey! Never mind, I'll be there next Wed. and tell them myself!

Silver Deep is a smaller outfit that does not cater to divers alone. They charter boats for all sorts of activities. If I remember they run out of Leeward and do most of their charters to the northeast. The diving in that direction is average. The longer boat rides to West Caicos and French Cay may be offered by Silver Deep but you will pay a premium in time and money to get there (read all day). I have never had the money to throw at their multi-activity trip.

I have used them for half day charters including the wife and kids. We did a trip to Malcolm Roads where we did snorkeling, dove for sand dollars and other activities along the way. The kids still talk about it. The cost was $500.00. I just priced the trip again and it was $700.00. Malcolm Roads is the most beautiful beach you will ever see in your life. You can also see if they have any bigger boats taking groups out and get in a half day or full day for $75.00 and up per person including drinks, etc. Check out the beach barbeque, etc.

Little kids have been hard to leave home for a week so we stayed at the Beaches resort in Provo the last 5 years. Their operation is great once you let the DM know you want to buddy dive. That way you can get away from the groups that scare all the good stuff off. In TCI most of your dives will be walls so unless you are severly horrible with directions it is pretty easy making it back to the boat. Most of the This is true with Fifi as well we did the 3 tank last year (French Key and West Caicos) and ended see sharks every dive as well as 2 turtles and an Eagle ray others in the groups missed this stuff. The areas you want to dive are Northwest Point, West Caicos, French Key and Grace Bay. Everyone says Grace bay sucks but we found it quite nice lots of fish lobsters and my first dive there 5 years ago I saw 3 large sharks. It is also where most night dives will be done. Fifi also has a couple of secret spots in his GPS in the middle of no where, one has a Giant Jewfish that is occasionally seen. You can expect pristine diving unless there are rough seas which can cut down on viz a bit. At West Caicos I would say viz was 120 feet with calm seas. Look down there when you are in the wall and it is black 6,000 feet. There is incredible diving in TCI have a great time. I think Tim has been there more than I so his advise is solid.

Tim

Doesn't Malcom Road take you to NW point. We anchored off there for a surface interval last year. Turtle Divers and Fifi can both take you to NW point and it is pristine diving there as well, sometimes tough to get to!

Malcolm Roada is just south of NW Point. NW Point has usually been a Provo Turtle Diver spot. I have never seen Fifi go there in the years I have been diving with him. I am not sure why.

Back
Top Bottom