Favorite Handheld Light Under ~$600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone want to give some real world recommendations on current handheld primary lights? I'm basically looking for a good travel light for cave diving in Mexico and warm water technical diving. Basically a handheld light for warm and clear water that I can use a primary light or even a backup primary light in Florida cave diving if one of my canister lights dies.

Some background info.. I already own 3 canisters light (2 35W HID and 50W HID) so I want something more travel friendly. I know I could buy an LED canister light but I figured I would take another look at current handheld offerings. I currently use a combination of DGX 600 / DGX 800 lumens lights for backups. I use good quality Panasonic 18650 cells in my backups and I get about 100-110 minute burntime on the DGX 800 lights (regularly tested).

Basically my requirements are:
  • Goodman handle (soft or hard)
  • Tight beam for signaling and diving in murky water (I already own enough video lights). Not sure I will be happy with 10 degree beam but I suppose that is really nice for clear water.
  • Takes 18650 cells or can easily buy second battery pack for multiple dives.
  • 1500-3000 lumens+ (I realize this is function of burn time and LED emitters/drivers).
  • Dives are 2-3 hours. I'd like something with 3 hour burntime on "high" or "medium."
  • I put $600 in the subject for budget but that's kind of arbitrary. I'm willing to spend more if it makes sense.
I'm looking at the following:
DiveRite LX20+ (Cree XM-L2 U4 driven at 16 watts)
DiveRite HP50 (Cree XLamp XHP50.2 LED driven @ 24W)
Light Monkey 12 Handy ( 130 minutes of burn time / 1200 Lumen output at 6000 Kelvin) *Probably little small for what I want
BigBlue TLP4800P (I know the big blue are not constant output and the lumens are exaggerated)

I'm leaning towards the DiveRite LX20+ since it's small, has a 6 degree beam and takes regular 18650 cells. I know it's rated at 1500 lumens on high. I've used DGX 800 lumens lights as "primaries" in a pinch. Are they going to be comparable?

Anyone have any other recommendations of lights I should be looking at?

The lx20 is a great light and you will be happy with it, Also look at the new CX2. It is nearly as bright and much smaller. I am really liking it as a travel primary.

The lx20 is a great light and you will be happy with it, Also look at the new CX2. It is nearly as bright and much smaller. I am really liking it as a travel primary.

What’s runtime on the CX20 with actual diving?

What’s runtime on the CX20 with actual diving?
I honestly don't know. Over 2 hours, I have done that much with it.

I have the big blue 4800. It's pretty damn bright. It's not quite as bright as my LM 20W canister light was (rated by LM at 4800 lumens) but it's close, and it is a more focused beam. I bought an extra battery for a 2nd dive. Overall I like it so far, and with the 2nd battery it was $600.

I use the razor mount (hand and helmet) instead of a goodman. I think the light came with some sort of soft hand mount but I never even took it out of the box.

I wouldn't say it's a well made light but it works and it's a ton of light for the money. I have some friends in Mexico that abuse them pretty well and they've held up.

LX20+ It has worked well in many conditions over 100 dives. It does have a tight beam though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom