Favorite Coz Dive Sites and Why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmantei

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Pretty much exactly what the title says. Everything from shallow beginner sites to advanced sites, what have been your favorite cozumel dives, and what made it so enjoyable...

OK, I'm in....and in no particular order...

#1 - Anything Columbia or Anything Palancar - Can't go wrong with Bricks, Shallows, Pinnacles, swim through/arounds/overs, etc. WOW + factor !
#2 - Paradise - Day/Night & Photography, Hide and Seek-looking for baby critters; Seahorse hunting in the grasses - Fun to have a slow 90 min shallow dive.
#3 - Maracaibo - Oh the Beauty !!!
#4 - Santa Rosa Wall - Got to have the right conditions, But, Dive it Off the wall @ 100 feet...Makes you feel REALLY small.....puts things into perspective...
#5 - Punta Tunich/Tormentos - FLY Like and Eagle !!!
#6 - Dahlia - Sweet as can be..
#7 - Tortugas - Over on the "Other side" - Turtles as big a HUGE rocks !!

And #8 - Everything thing else !!! :yeahbaby: Sue

Any of the palancars are my favorites. Love the swim thrus. Then probably santa rosa wall. For a shallow dive I like cedral pass. Seems like there is always a turtle or two. Punta tunich also a favorite seems to be tons of huge lobster. I like all the dive sites, the only bad dive i had was a night dive at paradise when we went under the pier. But just got my new dive light and i'm ready for sept.

My favorite dives are Maricibo Shallows (60 to 90 ft) followed by Columbia Shallows (25 ft). The first does not have the magnificent coral formation of the Palancar and Columbia walls but was spared from the storm damage and is loaded with a variety of soft corals and critters - you do have to watch NDLs. The latter is a surprisingly healthy coral ridge, well over a mile long and pushing 15 to 20 ft high. Great place to look for the small stuff. Dives easily run 1.5 hours.

San Juan, I love flying along in the current over the fields of finger corals. If the current is right it is like being on a hour long roller coaster ride.
Love Cedral, Tunich and Columbia shallows for all of the reasons others have stated as well.

Chunchakaab because it is so unique... like a soft coral garden. Also the site of my first underwater dolphin sighting - six of them that swam right through our group. Magical.

Barracuda. 'Cause it makes me feel like this guy...

SilverJetpack.jpg

In no particular order. These are based on my generalizations of what I remember but particular fish or other life can exist on other sites.

Palancar caves, followed by gardens, and bricks. Large formations and interesting passages and swimthroughs. Can be crowded.
Punta Sur - Not Devils throat. Healthy coral, sharks, rays. Not crowded.
Dalila and La Francesa - lots of life, plenty of places to duck into, Scorpionsfish, drums
Colombia deep - large formations, rays, sharks sometimes. Usually not crowded.
Cedral pass - Lots of Splendid toadfish, lots of life, good swimthroughs.
Sand flats - various locations. Seahorses and small stuff.
Cedral Wall - Eels and turtles. Not crowed but currents can run out from wall.
North dive sites - Turtles, rays but currents are faster. Occasional dolphins. Less crowded. Though have seen dolphins at southern sites.

Night dives

Santa Rosa shallows - Excellent night dive.
Cedral pass - Octopus, eels, sharks, turtles, large crabs and lobster. Occasional Splendid Toadfish in the open.
Top of San Francisco wall - Octopus, eels, crabs and lobster.
Dalila - similar to Cedral Pass

Some of these can have stronger currents and beginner divers should take caution choosing the site for night dives especially walls.

I have had good dives on all other West and North sites. This list will change. For example, sometimes I am in the mood for Tormentos and sometimes not.

OK, I'm in....and in no particular order...

#1 - Anything Columbia or Anything Palancar - Can't go wrong with Bricks, Shallows, Pinnacles, swim through/arounds/overs, etc. WOW + factor !
#2 - Paradise - Day/Night & Photography, Hide and Seek-looking for baby critters; Seahorse hunting in the grasses - Fun to have a slow 90 min shallow dive.
#3 - Maracaibo - Oh the Beauty !!!
#4 - Santa Rosa Wall - Got to have the right conditions, But, Dive it Off the wall @ 100 feet...Makes you feel REALLY small.....puts things into perspective...
#5 - Punta Tunich/Tormentos - FLY Like and Eagle !!!
#6 - Dahlia - Sweet as can be..
#7 - Tortugas - Over on the "Other side" - Turtles as big a HUGE rocks !!

And #8 - Everything thing else !!! :yeahbaby: Sue

Couldn't have said it better.

Although I find when I go back thru my dive log just about every Coz dive has been my favourite at some point :D

We've had great dives at almost very site, but the last two trips my log book says the best dives we made were at Palancar Dalilah. It may have just been luck, but we've had great conditions and life on that reef. We don't normally request sites since you can never tell what you will see on any given day, but we may have to start!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom