Faulty switch for XTAR D26 Whale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GioPuma

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As mentioned in a separate thread, I just bought a D26 Whale by XTAR.
One of the features that seemed attractive is the main switch with a lock mechanism.
I just had my very first dive with the light and I loved it.
However the locking mechanism already broke. It should "click" into locking and it doesn't anymore.
In fact it doesn't even fully turn 90 degrees and it comes to a mechanical stop before the lock is on (see picture attached)

Did anyone else experience this failure?
I am debating between asking for a replacement or a refund.

Attachments

• 16157197981404661662049249012542.jpg
    16157197981404661662049249012542.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 114
As mentioned in a separate thread, I just bought a D26 Whale by XTAR.
One of the features that seemed attractive is the main switch with a lock mechanism.
I just had my very first dive with the light and I loved it.
However the locking mechanism already broke. It should "click" into locking and it doesn't anymore.
In fact it doesn't even fully turn 90 degrees and it comes to a mechanical stop before the lock is on (see picture attached)

Did anyone else experience this failure?
I am debating between asking for a replacement or a refund.
You can try rinsing in running water while turning and “working” the switch. Magnetic switches can attract stuff sometimes.

I've had mine for a few years now and haven't had any issues. I would try what @lexvil said.

If all else fails I "think" you can unscrew the ring around the switch to take it apart. @XTAR might be able to chime in and help with ideas.

Let us know what works.

Yes I tried that, no luck

I would hold the button and see if you can lightly bang the light on your other hand....try moving the button around while you do it.

Also could try an air compressor see if you can do the same but blow out around the button while working it.

Maybe you've already tried all that.

by unscrewing the retention ring of the switch, disassembling it and reassembling it I was able to bring the functionality back.
It is easy to do and does not change my overall positive feeling about the light.

I just did not want to do it before @XTAR would recommend me to do so, which they did in a PM

by unscrewing the retention ring of the switch, disassembling it and reassembling it I was able to bring the functionality back.
It is easy to do and does not change my overall positive feeling about the light.

I just did not want to do it before @XTAR would recommend me to do so, which they did in a PM

I haven't had to do this yet, so out of curiosity what did you use to unscrew it? Did you feel you had to put anything on the threads going back, or did you notice anything from the factory?

Tbh, I've never even seen one apart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom