Fathom vs. KISS Classic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rjack321 So do you adjust the needle valve during the dive as a function of depth and work rate? How often woul you tend to adjust it during a dive. How do you monitor when it needs adjusting, is it of you see troughs in PPO2

I use a needle valve that has a CMF before it which works similar to the Fathom but doesn't have a blanking plug. The adjustments are done as needed but you get to decide what the "as needed" really is. For me, that is very infrequently but it is all about the rate of decay that you choose to accept. For cave diving I am usually doing enough up and down that I wouldn't really be able to tell if it is set right or not because I'm not often at a depth long enough to notice and/or my workload is changing often enough. About the only time I bother messing with it is when I'm on the trigger for a long haul and am stable enough in both depth and workload to notice the decay or when on decompression when I'm not moving.

Like tbone, needle valve with a normal reg (not plugged).
And yes, it is about how do you want your '"rate of decay". It is something which becomes a bit second nature after a while, like buoyancy control, DS squeeze, etc...
I don't really get the point of having a needle vale AND a plugged reg.
Well, yes, I understand the benefits on paper but in real life, it is not necessary.
Just keep it simple :)

@jale How is the long hose set up with the triton. So it comes off a right post, around a cannister on the hip, and around the left side of the Triton chest mounted lung and around the back of the neck? Doesn't it get caught dangling infront of the chest mounted triton. Where is it clipped off to? The right D ring or the front of the Triton?
Hi
Yes, normal right post, around canister, under the oxy tank, up on the left side of the Triton and around the neck, clipped to the right D-ring.
If you use the Triton ADV plugged down, make sure the ADV hose goes down from the tank before looping back up and keep the long hose close.
If you plug the ADV from the top, make sure the hose from the ADV coming over your shoulder is not too long to push the long hose away.
Need to play around a bit to find your personal set-up and correct hoses' lengths.
Hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom