Fatality off Bald Head Island - NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aHeavyD, sorryabout your friend. His wife is right. My question was born of genuine curiosity thankyou for your post and answers. Also glad you're ok..I assume.

Last edited:
aHeavyd, what a horrible thing to have gone through, and it sounds as though you did everything you could possibly have done for your friend. Thank you very much for posting the story in such detail. Once again, it sounds as though something went physically wrong with the diver before anything in the dive was out of the ordinary. This was the case with the friend of mine who died, in whose resuscitation I participated. There is nothing you can do in such a situation but what you can do, and you did it. I am very sorry for your loss.

Another Wilmington, NC area diving fatality today....on another fossil ledge dive - I believe the same coordinates as well. Not a good week for diving in NC.

What are the dive conditions at site, as far as vis, current, dark or light as aheavyd has mentioned using a reel to get back to anchor in his story.

What are the dive conditions at site, as far as vis, current, dark or light as aheavyd has mentioned using a reel to get back to anchor in his story.
Seas were 3to 4 ft. Overcast. Vis was pretty good (about 40 ft). Water temp 75. Little current on bottom (fair current 30 ft to surface) Using a wreck reel on these dives is standard procedure. Most of the dive you are looking down searching for teeth, because of this navigation is difficult. You really dont want to make a free ascent as this site is about 40 miles out on the open ocean.

I just want to add that heavyD did everything he could to save his friend and mine, endangering his own life. I was the one on the line finishing my deco that Dave handed Don off to. I've known Dave and Don for years and was their instructor for their recreational diving, but they decided to tackle technical diving/training and both are very qualified to do the dive they planned. They have even encouraged me to further my own training using doubles and getting the deco procedures after resisting for the last 10+ years. Don made no mistakes that I can see on the dive, and I believe it was just his time. He was a great friend and mentor to our small group and will be sorely missed.

Keith and I are heartbroken. This was so hard for you to have to write so soon. Thanks for doing it to quickly answer any doubts, rumors, and cruel speculations that typically arise. Very few I ever felt were safer and better trained than you and Don. Ours prayers. Let us know what we can do for you.

Don was a great guy, and definitely a good experienced diver. He was a regular where I work on GCM, and we'll really miss seeing him down here.

I am sorry about the loss of your friend. I was not there, but this to me is an obvious oxygen toxicity seizure. Where you diving nitrox or trimix? If so, what mix were you using? Do you guys do your own mixing? If you don't, do you check your mix with your own equipment?

Personally I've always feared an oxtox hit more than getting bent. Once in seizure, you are pretty much screwed.

Jim

Trimix, How to use Helium to improve your diving

I know these gentlemen and well aquainted with their training. They are careful, conservative and well trained. Well aware of best mixes and all testing. It was stated on an earlier post he wasnt going to get into tanks, sizes, or mixes. They always encourage others to learn more and followed the safety through education rule they recommended to others. Review their experience levels on previous posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom