Fatality at Ginnie yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Netsloth

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anybody heard anything on this? There is a post at Decostop about one of their regular posters, Jeff Thompson.

No details yet about what happened.

:(

The Deco Stop

"Yes, Jeff was a member here. I've known and dived with Jeff for a long time. He loved the sport and was a very good and safe diver. I spent this last Sunday and Monday at Peacock and Little River with Jeff and the group of friends who came down to dive this week.

I want everyone to know that there were no rules of any sort violated on this dive. They were on the line with plenty of gas and were about 800 feet from the exit on their way out. His dive partner is one of the very best divers I know. He did everything he could for Jeff but unfortunately nothing helped.

I hope everyone remembers Jeff for his smile and laugh and for the friendship the provided to so many. He left behind a wife and family so keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

I'll miss you buddy, Rest in peace.

Dave Grimm"

BE SAFE OUT THERE EVERYONE!
Carolyn:sharks:

Ps. I guess u have to be a member to view the forum

Info from a DMX thread says he seized about 800 feet in. Tanks analyzed at 32%, and his computer was set for 34%, so it doesn't sound as though the MOD was violated. Gas is being sent off for analysis for contaminants.

If this is true, it's the second unexplained seizure and death in a Florida cave this year. Scary.

Note: This time of year is the BUSY time for the caves down here in Florida. We have LOTS of people coming down for winter diving around the Thanksgiving time.

I know the area in Ginnie where this happened. (gads)
(the threads are saying at about 800 feet in)
No matter what happened , it is JUST SAD that we lose one of our own.

My prayers to the Family and friends. And also to the Dive Buddies!
(cry)

Jean

Info from a DMX thread says he seized about 800 feet in. Tanks analyzed at 32%, and his computer was set for 34%, so it doesn't sound as though the MOD was violated. Gas is being sent off for analysis for contaminants.

If this is true, it's the second unexplained seizure and death in a Florida cave this year. Scary.

I think it best that we wait for the results of an investigation before considering this to be a scary and unexplained death in a Florida cave. It's a terrible tragedy, regardless of the cause(s) and at this time, sympathy and support for the family and friends should be all that we are focused on.

My heart goes out to all of them. I am so very sorry for your loss. It is a loss for us as well.

Do you think he just had a stroke or heart attack ... it just happened underwater with no quick way out?
My thought are with his family and friends :(

While Jeff was not a "close" friend, he was a friend. His leaving will sadden many hearts, some in ways not yet realized. I have always realized the risk we take whe we choose to enter the underwater world - especially in the so called world of tech. For years I have offered a quiet prayer for the safety of myself and my team before every dive. Please offer the the same for the members of Jeff's team (whom I list also list as my friends) and his family who I'm sure will never be the same. My prayers are with Jeff's family and yours. Please cherish your loved ones today and enjoy the dives, but never forget what matters most. Please be safe

Jeff's son posted on TDS that the ME is signing this out as an air embolus.

Jeff's son posted on TDS that the ME is signing this out as an air embolus.

I am sure you are aware that embolism appears frequently in divers who are surfaced post-mortem. I would not take that at face value.

I am very sorry for the loss to family and friends. I did not know him but he was a highly regarded diver and human being from all accounts.

In the absence of any facts, (including the cause of "embolism", which is at best an unsatisfactory finding) any queries over causation would be mere speculation.

My heartfelt sympathies go out to Jeff's wife and son, and their extended family. He certainly does seem to have lived his life to the fullest, and appears to have been a remarkable guy.

To lose a diver in this manner is truly sad...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom